Chapter: 01

The biting chill of December hung in the air, announcing the impending arrival of the New Year in Karachi. The city, blanketed in a wintry frost, hummed a tune with the chilly breeze as its melody. Twinkling city lights cast ethereal shadows across the streets, while leaves rustled in response to the gusts of wind. People, wrapped in cozy sweaters and jackets, battled against the cold, bundling up in blankets for warmth. Heaters became prized companions, sharing their comforting warmth with their owners.

The sea's strength mingled with the weather, challenging the sun's dominance, only to be consistently thwarted. Chai and coffee offered solace not only to habitual drinkers but also to occasional indulgers. Fans retired into dormancy as December bid farewell, promising to return in 334 days to embrace the city once more.

In the midst of her dreams, Mirha was jolted awake by her ringing phone. Irritated, she reached for it without bothering to check the caller's name, her voice groggy and half-asleep.

"Kiya musibat hai, Hello Kon?" she grumbled in annoyance.

"Tch tch tch, Mirha, aankhain kholo or ghour se caller ka naam dekho."

Barely opening her eyes, she rubbed them to clear her vision.

"Oh, Fari, tum"

"Ji mai, tum abhi tak so rahi ho na?" Farwa asked, aware that Mirha would likely fib.

"Nahi mai to jaag rahi hoon," Mirha replied, altering her tone to sound awake.

"Dramaybaazi band karo 10 baj rahay hai, mun haath dho ke bahir jao bechari Zoha kab se wait kar rahi hai," Farwa answered, anticipating Zoha's impatience.

"Gayi mai, for sure."

"Kiun? Hum ne kahi jana hai?" She feigned ignorance, knowing exactly why they were calling her, trying to avoid Zoha's anger.

"Yeh mere se nahi bahir jo bethi hai usse pocho woh tumhe achay se bataye gi."

"Dekho Fari, mera kasoor nahi hai-"

"Tumhara phone kahan tha?"

"S-I-L-E-N-T pe," Mirha answered sheepishly.

"Bro, I can't help you, deal with her by yourself.''

"Fari-" The line disconnected abruptly.

"Phone hi kaat diya... mai to uthoon warna Zoi ne mujhe kacha chaba jana hai."

Hurriedly, Mirha got out of bed, rushing to freshen up and get ready.

Emerging from the washroom, she adorned light blue jeans that hugged her figure gracefully. A vibrant red shirt with loose sleeves added a touch of style. Subtle curls adorned her hair, framing her face elegantly. A hint of lipstick and blush highlighted her natural radiance. Gracefully slipping into her shoes and grabbing her purse, she completed her ensemble.

"Lo agayi woh beta," Mirha's mom announced to Zoha. As Mirha stepped into the room, Zoha's smile faded, replaced by a serious expression.

"Ok aunty, humein ijazat de, hum already late ho chukay hain," Zoha swiftly rose to greet Mirha's mom.

"Ok mera bacha, Allah Hafiz," Aunty air-kissed Zoha.

"Allah Hafiz."

"Ok mama, Allah Hafiz," Mirha bid her farewell.

"Allah Hafiz, meri jaan."

As they left the room, Mirha observed Zoha's mood, knowing it wasn't her worst but certainly not her best. She anticipated facing the consequences of this encounter for at least a week.