Chapter 5

"I don't need your sorry"

She said firmly as she forcefully removed his hand from her shopping bags and moved forward, leaving him behind. Zain watched her go towards Mahrukh, unsure why he was feeling guilty, but then deliberately shook his head and thought to himself,

"Ajeeb hi nakhray hain aik to banda sorry bolay upar se itni akar, mai hi koi chawal tha jo isko sorry bolne agaya, ye laiq hi nahi hai iske"

With that, he went towards them.

Half an hour later, Mirha, Mahrukh, and Zain were seated in the food court, with Zain being completely ignored by them.

"Mahi, kya kehti ho barbeque or fast food?"

"Ap batayen?"

"Yaar aik kaam karte hain abhi fast food khaa letay hain, barbeque yahan mall ka itna khaas nahi hai, kisi din mai tumhay le ke chaloon gi aik jaga, mai, Farwa or Zoha wahin se khatay hain or kiya wahan ka barbeque hai"

"Abhi chaltay hain"

"Nahi kisi or din, SIRF MAI OR TUM"

She emphasized the last clause, which both Mahrukh and Zain noticed.

"Chalain theek hai lekin abhi kya karna hai?"

"Abhi tum jo khilao gi woh mai khaa loongi"

"Pakka"

"Haan pakkaaa"

She said, drawing out the last word, pulling Mahrukh's cheeks. Zain was looking at the menu in his hand but kept peeking at them from time to time.

"Acha ap bethain mai leke ati hoon"

"Ok madam"

They both chuckled. Mahrukh turned to Zain and said,

"Bhai kuch khana hai to bata den warna apna kaam khud"

Mirha straightened herself, her smile gone, serious expressions on her face. She picked up her phone and started scrolling through her Instagram.

"Meri signature dish hi le ao balke ruko mai tumharay saath chalta hoon-"

"Khuda ka wasta hai ap bethay rahain and you better know ke apke saath kiun nahi jati"

"Mahiiii"

"Kabhi to baat maan liya karain"

"Acha theek hai jao"

Zain couldn't shake off the guilt weighing on his heart as he watched Mirha immersed in her phone, seemingly unaffected by his presence. Despite his attempts to distract himself with his phone, his thoughts kept drifting back to the unresolved tension between them.

Zain had thought Mirha wouldn't even sit with him when Mahrukh would leave them behind, but he was mistaken. Mirha didn't move an inch; she was still engrossed in scrolling through her mobile. Mahrukh went to order, leaving the two of them behind. Zain took his phone out too and started to scroll, but something was unsettling him. He attempted to call Saad, but he wasn't picking up at that moment. After a couple of minutes, he noticed Mirha's demeanor remained unchanged. She didn't even alter her sitting position, her face expressionless, occasionally breaking into a smile upon seeing a funny post. Zain kept staring at her, although she could feel his gaze, she continued to ignore him. Something compelled Zain to apologize to her once again; it wasn't his brain, but his heart.

"Mirha-"

"Hello, haan Fari bolo"

He spoke in a low voice but was interrupted midway; she immediately pretended to receive a fake call, avoiding listening to him, leaving him staring at her.