THE LAST I HAVE OF YOU

Prologue

She wasn't born a monster, that came much later. She was never supposed to become a monster and yet in time she did. Anyone would blame the curse that bind her to the moon to the fact of her becoming a monster but that was never it. She never expected her life to go as it did, because with time her life turned into a void. She always tried to convince herself that the bad parts were not as bad, and that the happy times were more and could overcome the bad ones. She clung to the happy parts most of her miserable life, they kept her from drowning in the void. She never planned for anything of this to happen, it just did, she feel in love and the real curse began and with it she became a monster.

She wasn't born a monster, for her and her family it was never a curse or something to hide from. Her family never saw the shift as a curse, they saw it more as way of connecting to their true self, to the self they were always meant to be, to them it was a rite of passage a way of reaching to those parts of themselves that were there, just dormant waiting to be awaken.

Her birth was embraced by her village as a gift, a blessing and it was never anything less than that because she wasn't born a monster. All those born from the same bloodline as hers carried something no average human did in their blood, something that tied them to the moon.

From a very young age she knew they had a special connection to the moon, but she loved it more than most. She always dreamed of the day were she would finally shift and join the rest of her family on a full moon. It was never easy, the shifts, they hurt but it was part of the process, it was part of becoming her true self and she loved every part of it.

When she finally shifted, she felt better than ever before, braver, more powerful, happier. She wasn't sure why, her grandma said it was because they accepted the shift, who they were and that gave them strength, she believed her grandma, it was her who she was named after.

Lilibeth believed in the truth, the warmth and the happiness in the world. She truly believed everyone had good in them, everyone had the ability to be good even when they did bad things. Her family was her first example, they all had to kill to be able to shift and even then, they weren't bad, they weren't monsters.

Lilibeth knew her ability to be a good person was tied to her very being, she never wanted to become a monster, but she had no choice. She always believed in the good and it was that same belief that made her feel guilty, until she found the way to drown those guilts, leaving only a void filled with regrets that would change her very being. She wasn't born a monster but she was born to become one.