CHAPTER FIVE

5

Dangerous Liaisons

Mystic falls, 2010.

                    With Esther back from the dead everything changed, and even though his mother assured them that her intentions of being a family were true, Klaus wasn't too convinced. Maybe it was because of his own mind and how it worked that he couldn't accept that his mother truly forgave him, he wouldn't forgive himself, that he knew well.

                      His mother was hosting a ball, The Mikaelson were inviting all prominent families from Mystic Falls to said ball, and his mother urged him to find a date, and he couldn't seemed to get a certain blonde out of his mind, Caroline.

                     Klaus knew what Caroline thought of him, so maybe it was time to change her mind, and try to show her how he truly was. He picked out a gown, a beautiful blue gown, this gown had a history of its own, one that Caroline might feel not so good about, but still it was a beautiful gown. The first time Klaus saw that gown was at a ball, very similar to the one his mother was hosting, and it was being worn by a princess. The moment he saw the gown he couldn't stop reflecting on the color, he wanted the gown, he needed it.

                   From the moment he saw the gown he knew it wasn't the correct shade but that she would love it, that if she were still with him, so he lured the princess to a room and took the gown very carefully off of her body, once he had placed it out of her reach he started kissing said princess and in time he feed on her, stoping until there was no longer a heartbeat. The gown was now his, in the beginning it had a different purpose, but he couldn't deny that Caroline would look beautiful in it, so he packed it and hoped she would wear it.

"I saw you dancing with a pretty blonde in a blue gown," Kol said walking closer to him, "she seemed very keen on avoiding you," Klaus gave his brother a half smile, "and you couldn't take your eyes off her," Rebekah groaned from Kol's side.

"I always did like a challenge," Rebekah groaned again.

"What a beautiful blue gown," Rebekah said, Klaus only nodded still looking at Caroline in the distance.

"The reach of your obsession amazes me brother," Klaus turned to look at Kol with a puzzled look, "you know giving a common dumb blonde a blue gown doesn't make her Lilith," Klaus was about to reach for his throat but instead just hold him by his shoulder.

"Do not call her that, because as a matter of fact I do enjoy Caroline's company..."

"Besides, it's not even the right shade," said Rebekah and Kol laughed.

"If she were here she would laugh at your absurd attempt at replacing her," Elijah walked closer to them trying to stop any future bloodshed, "remember how she almost killed Aurora back then," he laughed, "and then actually killed her," he laughed again.

"I am not replacing her."

"You can't even say her name, can you Nik?," Rebekah was gloating in Klaus' pain.

"Can you not talk about that harlot," Finn said finally getting close to his siblings.

"Do not talk about her like that," Klaus warned Finn, the oldest just walked away whispering curses under his breath.

"Not even when defending her can you say her name," Kol let out a small huff, "I don't even know how Lilith fell for you, pathetic," he then grabbed Rebekah by the hand and walked away. Klaus walked on the other direction leaving Elijah by himself, he needed air.

"You like horses," Said Klaus walking closer to Caroline.

"I'm not talking to you until you tell me why you invited me here," she had courage that he liked about her.

"I fancy you. Is that so hard to believe?"

"Yes."

"Why?, you're beautiful, you're Strong. you're full of light. I enjoy you," he truly enjoyed her, she had one of those qualities that made her stand out, she was a ray of sunshine and he needed some of that warmth.

"So, what did you want to show me?"

"One of my passions."

"I take it the curators of the Louvre aren't on vervain?," she smiled.

"Yeah, well that's their mistake," she laughed, she had a beautiful smile.

"And what about this. Where did you steal this from?," she said lightly touching the bracelet he had gave her. It was from the same princess the gown belonged to.

"That's a long story, but rest assured it was worn by a princess almost as beautiful as you," she seemed to avoid all his compliments too well. He was too involved in the conversation with Caroline that it was easy to forget she was wearing that blue gown, until she asked why he compelled people, that was not any of her business.

"I get it," Caroline said, "Your father didn't love you so you assume no one else will either," Klaus heartbeat started to rush, "That's why you compel people, you don't connect with people because you don't even try to understand them," Caroline walked away from him, but she was right, and maybe it was because the last time he connected with someone he ruined her life, his family's, and his in the process.