22 | Opportunities To Reconnect

DIANA
***

A couple of days passed after I woke up in Dante's bed. It was a couple of days after I woke up in Dante's bed. He made me feel at home in his lavish penthouse.

I relaxed on the plush couch, immersed myself in the trilogy of "The Godfather," An amazing trilogy featuring one of my favorite actors, Al Pacino- without a doubt, one of the finest Italian men I've ever seen. Though I must admit, Dante still holds the number one spot but I'd never admit that aloud.

Unexpectedly, the shrill ringtone of my Nokia pierced the room, prompting me to pause my movie. Frantically searching for my phone, I reconnected with reality, answering my mother's call with a sigh.

Finally finding it I pick up, "Hey ma, what's up?" I greeted.

"Hey, love, I know you had a rough week so I have a surprise for you!" My mother mused.

I remain quiet, allowing her to continue.

"I'm at the airport! I don't know where you live so I was hoping you'd pick me up."

I instantly rose to my feet and began walking in circles. My mouth drops as anger boils inside of me. My free hand clenched as I tried breathing to calm myself.

"Mom, I don't know if I can." I slightly stammer, "I'm not home."

Dissatisfaction seeped through her tone, "Where are you then?"

"Over a friend's place,"

"Friend?" she questioned, "Is it a guy?"

Rolling my eyes, I reply, "Yes Mom, it's Dante."

"Dante? I haven't seen him since he was a teen. I talked to his mother recently."

She spoke with a smile evident in her words, "I remembered you had the biggest crush on him."

"Yeah, Mom I do too. I'll call you later when I find out what I can do."

"Okay, Love you." Her excited voice reverberated through the phone. My initial calm facade masked a mix of emotions, and as the call ended, I found myself exhaling a long-awaited breath and walking to the kitchen to get a snack.

Turning around, I saw Dante with a knowing smirk playing on his lips as he adjusted his tie. His sudden presence jolted me, provoking a startled yelp and a hand over my chest.

"Dante, God, you scared me." I breathed out.

His chuckle echoed, dimples deepening in amusement, "I'm sorry, are you okay?"

"Besides you almost gave me a heart attack, yes." Resting against the kitchen counter after regaining my composure.

I looked over his usual business attire, "And where are you going?"

"To work, I have an important meeting today."

I felt bad for staying at his penthouse, without doing anything productive, "Do you want me to go with you?"

"No, I want you to relax. That's the least you could do after your night out."

Heat crept up my neck from the unburied memory, and I subtly shook my head with a smile.

"I overheard you on the phone with your mother."

My brows furrowed, "How?"

"You never noticed how loud you speak over the phone." His hazel eyes flickered with amusement at the expense of my embarrassment.

"Your mother could spend a week or two at the manor." He proposed, "My mother misses Ms. Alexandre, so it'd be perfect."

I smiled at his generosity, "I think so too."

"I'll send my driver to pick you and your parents up and take you directly to the manor."

I nod, "what am I going to wear?"

"Gisela is coming thirty minutes, she'll get you ready."

• • •

The cityscape blurred outside the window as thoughts of Dante lingered in my mind.

"How's things going with your boyfriend?" My mom struck up a conversation.

"Well." I quickly say, her words taking my mind off of Dante briefly.

"That's good. Is he treating you right?"

I momentarily remained quiet before I hummed in reply, my palms beginning to sweat.

"Hm, I still wish you'd gotten with Dante. He's perfect for you, you know. There's still a chance."

"No, I'm sure a guy like Dante wouldn't even dare to date me, Ma."

"What do you mean a guy like Dante? And why wouldn't he? You're beautiful, you're smart. In general, you're perfect so don't say things like that." She bumped my shoulder, causing me to look at her.

She wore a comforting smile and a sincere glint of admiration in her light brown eyes. I reciprocated the smile, allowing a slightly shaky laugh to pass my lips.

"He's just a friend," I replied, but uncertainty lingered in my voice.

She raised an eyebrow, the knowing smile playing on her lips further deepening the dimple in her right cheek and her smile lines, "I always saw the way he looked at you. It's not just friendship."

I sighed, unable to escape her sharp gaze. "Things are complicated."

"Love usually is, Diana," She reminded me.

As the car made its way through the busy streets of Manhattan, my mind couldn't help but replay that unexpected night with Dante. The warmth of his embrace, the shared laughter, and the unspoken connection between us left me questioning the boundaries of our relationship.

I remained silent, the memory of waking up in Dante's bed flooded my mind, reminding me of his gentle touch and the warmth of his body pressed against mine. The heat rose to my face as I relived the moment.

 The heat rose to my face as I relived the moment