Two

July 14th, 1989

July 14th, 1989

A warm breeze flowed through my hair, as I stepped outside of the car. "God, that was terrible," my exhaustion of our spontaneous road trip was apparent.

Supposedly, the Gemini Coven had reached out to my father once again. They were always asking for favors from him, as Joshua and my father were close years prior. That's why we were parked outside a long driveway in the middle of Portland, Oregon.

I'll admit, I was incredibly unimpressed with the idea of leaving my friends back home in Virginia.
The view was something i'd miss, and coming here randomly was more of an inconvenience.
Father told me it was temporary, but I heard fights between him and mom that revealed much more.

"It's two months, Marilyn... don't be ridiculous."

"Two months, Zachary. You'll be gone. And for what? Nothing of benefit to us and our family."

"The boy needs our help. The coven needs our help." my father explained, annoyance crawling in his words.

"That coven is not associated with us. The boy is an abomination. He could harm our daughter, what more do i need to say?! There's talk of his ability harming his own brothers and sisters. What kind of mother would I be, if I let our daughter walk into a risk for a boy who is not our own?"

My bootstraps looked awkwardly out of place, so I bent down to adjust them. My father walked past me, continuing down the dirt road to the house at the very end.

I remember it... the boy... Malachai...?

A surge of memories trickled into my head.
The fights between mother and father, the trip... Hmm.

"Amber? Are you coming?" my father yells for me over his shoulder and I comply, rushing to my feet to get into stride alongside him.

A lot has changed in these few years. Holding my father's hand seemed so foreign, something so saddening but true. So, I opted for fidgeting with my hands, as we walked to face the white farmhouse.

Leaves tumbled amongst the grass of the lawn and the trees swayed with rhythm. Joshua's face emerged from the front door and again, I take note of every detail. Windows, blinds, some toys scattered about.

A conversation that i drown out occurred between my father and the coven leader. I was more interested in the boy who had joined Joshua's side.

He had grown. His brown hair was a bit shorter and his eyebrows had grown into his face. His whole demeanor had changed, as well. He had a brand new sense of confidence, and I liked it. His blue eyes leveled with my eyes and I stared back.
Although, there was a shadow of a scowl left written in between the lines of his face. This time, I returned the same energy to him and we silently made it a competition, as our fathers continued to talk.

-

"Motus!" Kai yelled, turning towards a small wooden box.

Joshua thought it would be a great idea to practice in the barn beside the house. There was more to destroy and, as he put it, "contain."

The box didn't move. He tried again, and again, and again, and yet again.

"Malachai, let's just try something else, maybe a simple fire spell?" I tried to suggest numerous alternatives to him, throughout his attempts. Yet, he ignored me again. He glared at me fiercely, allowing me an opportunity to really study him.

He had brown hair, not too long or short. Furrowed brows that were the same coffee brown as his hair. But his eyes, I'll admit, were the most captivating part of his appearance. Cutting daggers into my core, as he stared at me.

If we hadn't met under these circumstances, I might've wanted to know him better. But alas, not everything settles into place in this world and his personality really annoyed me.

After a 30th attempt at motus, he swiped the box away and allowed it to clash alongside the wooden walls of the barn. It clattered with a sickening split accompanying it and my eyes trailed exactly back to him.

"This isn't working," he says, turning to me in anger. "This is just how I am, it's not going to change."

I remained quiet, letting the tension continue and he began to grow irritated by this, if he could even be more irate.

"Malachai, I'm not really an expert in the ability you have... I don't know how to make your magic wor-" I began honestly, but he interrupts my statement.

"First, stop calling me that. Second? Make. It. Work. My father called you and your dad for a reason."

Excuse me? Who does he think he fucking is?

A scowl wrapped my lips, "I've tried, nothing has been working."

"This was a mistake, I'm finished," he exasperated and began to walk away. His converse scuffed the dirt, before he turned to face me one more time.

"I may be ineffective like this," he referred to himself, "but I will become the coven leader."

"Kai, your desire to become your coven's leader is nothing that effects me. I'm not trying to sabotage you, but you are a siphoner. It's highly unlikely that will magically change until you merge with Josette. And when that happens, because of your lack of magic..." I trailed off, feeling suddenly pitiful of the boy standing in front of me. He's basically my age and is actively practicing to stand before a 50/50 risk of death at 22. I can't imagine living up until that moment.

It must be... eating him alive.

"Yeah, I know, I know. I'll be at a disadvantage and die," he finished, closing his mouth and an ice cold stare froze over the aura of the barn.

"Likely, the merge will be passed down to the younger twins."

His jaw twitched, "No, it won't. I won't let it happen."

"Do you think you're god? One to change the events of the future... the inevitable? Or would you rather play a fool, oblivious to an impending death?" I was growing annoyed of his arrogant attitude and I had only just met the dude. Hard truth, suck it up.

He said nothing, but I have a feeling my words didn't falter his mindset in the slightest. The tension grew thick and I decided best to just leave.

Nothing was wrong with him, but he was practically asking for his death certificate by merging with Jo.

I heard the friction of his shoes on the ground, as he walked in my direction to continue our finished conversation. Clearly, he was ready to argue.

He grabbed my shoulder to make me face him, as I feel an unnerving pull on my core. He's siphoning me. I grimaced and pull my shoulder away, shooting him a threatening stare. He released his hand away from my direction and his lips part as if he's surprised, like he didn't expect it.

I want to tell him that he's dangerous, he's a walking hazard, but something in me gates me from saying anything at all. He will never be fit to lead a coven of witches, much less one as prestigious as the Gemini Coven.

He opened his mouth to say something, but he also doesn't say anything.

Our eyes speak for each other.

Before I could say anything hurtful, I turned back around and walked back inside.