Seven

September 1st, 2012

September 1st, 2012

My boots clicked in rhythm along the wooden floor, and I eyed my reflection as I walked past a trophy display.

"Go, Eagles." I muttered, sarcasm lacing my voice.

Why was I entirely across the country?
It's simple... revenge.

Revenge for losing every thing that I had to define me.

I realized, at some point, that I would watch everyone die. Friends would get married, grow old, and be happy.

I'd watch... my parents die. Even though we had a horrible connection, my heart still ached at the thought of them... wondering where their daughter was and why it had been so many years since contact.

At first, I knew I couldn't face them because the thought of admitting my shameful condition would break the way they saw me... but then I realized I really shouldn't.

They'd probably kill me, or cry... or both.

Although it is 2013, they'd probably grab at a ventilator before they would grab me.

"Hi!" a bubbly girl rudely interrupted my quietness, falling into line with my steps and she smiled so bright that it made me cringe.

"Hi." I send back a smile, but wonder if it looks like I'm in pain or not.

"You're new, right?" a girl involuntarily joined us, when the other girl pulled her arm toward her.

"My name's Caroline and this is..." Caroline looked off to the quieter girl, expecting some sort of communication.

"Elena," she sighed out.

Oh... hello.

"Hmm, Amber," I didn't bother sparing her another glance, because quite frankly they both annoyed the hell out of me.

I started to break off before hearing Caroline calling out, "Hey, we can totally show you around sometime!"

I smiled back, "yeah... that'd be great!" and continued walking away.

Not like I'm plotting to kill someone right now or something. Humans are so... so dumb. Working so hard, and for what? To end up with a simple name and date on a rock?

I was here for one reason: to kill Damon Salvatore.

I was going to gut him, no matter the cost.

-

Unfortunately, I had isolated myself for the last... 18, or so, years. So, getting to Whitmore, I realized how little I had to guide me on my journey.

All I knew was that I was close to the absolute epicenter of supernatural: Mystic Falls.

Why wouldn't someone know about Damon's whereabouts there?

"This week you'll be receiving an email with all of your sign-in information and assignments for the whole semester... Any questions?" the professor, whose name I didn't care to catch, waited for a brief moment before dismissing the class.

"Hey... Elena, everything will be okay," my eye catches Caroline rubbing Elena's shoulder with a solemn look on her face.

"I hope."

"Damon would want you to be okay... live your best life, so let's just have fun tonight." she smiled down at what was basically a vessel of someone.

If I were Elena, I'd probably slap the hell out of her and show her-

Damon?

I stuffed my bag, keeping my gaze drawn to the girls.

"Yeah..." Elena responded weakly, forcing a small smile that Caroline was oblivious to. That girl ignored every damn sign of her friend's distress.

"Hey," I interrupted, "I was thinking... maybe I should take your offer up on that tour?"

"Oh... Of course! Wanna go now?" Caroline's ignorance clouded the sad aura of her friend, and she ushered me to follow her in the opposite direction of my dorm.

If I wanted this to go the way I had spent 18 whole years planning, I might have to just suck up this annoying bitch for a couple hours.

Just a couple hours, once I'm at my limit I'll just snap her neck or something.

-

"So, this is our gym," she waved at the entrance, almost proudly.

"Oh... pretty," I feigned a face of being impressed, peeking into the double doors.

It was simple really, and it seemed the janitor missed a few spots of the sneaker streaks on the floor.

"Hey, I have a question..."

"Yeah, ask anything!" she smiled again at me.

"Earlier, I heard a bit of your conversation... Who's Damon?" I played dumb, tilting my head slightly.

"Oh..." she obviously didn't expect my question, and pondered for a moment. "Elena's boyfriend, he uh... he passed away a while ago."

Hm, must not be the same Damon... Damn it.

"Oh? I've never heard of him passing, what was his name?"

"Damon Salvatore, why?" she raised an eyebrow, and I took it as a sign to stop asking question, even if I was more curious than before the conversation started.

"Nothing, just wondering if I had known him before..." I pretended to be sad for a minute, coughing to hopefully kickstart our tour again.

-

I don't really know how, but at some point, Caroline had convinced me to join her at some sort of ridiculous party.

I didn't care much to dress up for it, so I sported a cropped shirt with jean shorts and basic sneakers.

Not too much and not too basic.

I really just needed to milk a sliver of information from her... my bet is that Damon didn't actually die and he probably skipped town to avoid her suspicion when he didn't age over the years.

All I needed was a clue.

"Ready for fun?" Caroline grabbed my hands, pulling me towards the door.

"Wait... I'm not really ready."

I can't get in, idiot.

A boy came through the crowd, "come on in! mi casa es su casa!"

Ew.

I took a hesitant step over the doorway, pleased when I found both my feet passed over with ease.

"Okay! Where do we start?" Caroline eagerly asked me, probably more than ready to drown in alcohol. I didn't really share the same feelings, so I just shrugged and followed her around.

And of course, we magically ended up at the punch bowl.

I exhaled, "it's only for a little bit," I attempted to calm myself.