Twelve

2012

2012

"So, I'm the source of magic?" I furrowed my eyebrows in annoyance and Kai raised his eyebrows as if it was no big deal.

"Hey, if you know of anything else that I can use, feel free to inform me," he replied, sarcasm lacing his voice.

I did want to get out of here.

"Okay, fine but what about the ascendant?"

"Easy: Portland." he smiled, playing with the coin he had found sitting on the coffee table.

"Portland? Kai, that's just too easy—"

"Exactly. And you're going with me," he slapped the coin flat with his thumb, looking down and then meeting my gaze again.

I didn't have a choice, did I? Can't really let my stubbornness get in the way, again.

"When?" I said, sighing deeply.

"Now."

"Okay, let me just grab some things for the road," I get up from the couch, heading towards Stefan's room.

It only really took me ten minutes to gather everything, but when I came back downstairs, Kai wasn't there.

Where the hell did he go?

I walked around before finding the door gaping open, hearing the revving of a car's engine. I peeked out to the garage, watching Kai... eating from a bag of pork rinds.

Great, I'm going to place my entire wellbeing and chance of freedom in the hands of an absolute man child.

He honked the horn, dragging me out of my daze and I shut the door behind me. "Coming," I yelled out, walking to the car's passenger door.

Kai had put a cassette tape into the car, "I love some good old fashioned rock. How is it now?" he turned to face me, before chucking his chip bag outside of the car's window.

"It's not as good, don't get your hopes up." I answered bluntly,

He said nothing in return and began reversing out of the driveway of the boarding house.

God, I really hope this bullshit works.

-

I think the urge to strangle Kai to death left at... the fifth hour, but it definitely came back stronger at the eleventh hour.

"Okay," he pulled over randomly at a Motel 6.
"If we take a 3 hour nap here, then we can get back to driving and get there earlier in the next morning."

"Or... I can just drive and save the extra waste of time. Plus, you can get all your rest and stuff," I suggested, but he quickly looked at me funny.

What is this dude's deal?