Eight

November 23rd, 2012

November 23rd, 2012

"So, basically, I had to tell him it wasn't the same and- Are you listening?"

I hummed, "Yes, Caroline, they are two different shades of red."

"Exactly! But Stefan can't just admit it, so I spent over an hour showing him different clothes and trying to explain." she pulled her hand. through her hair in exasperation, clearly a drama queen.

In the past few months, we had actually grown quite close. Although I would never say it out loud, I looked forward to our little meet ups after lectures.

I felt... human again.

And something in me over the last few months almost felt guilty for lying straight to her face about who I was.

"Hey, are you doing anything for thanksgiving break? You should totally come over to Mystic Falls with me." she threw her phone off to the side, facing me on the bed.

Wow, did she read my mind?

"Hmm, I actually was planning to go there anyways to visit family," she seemed a bit sad from my response, "but I'm sure I can find time to hangout for some of the days."

Her eyes practically lit up, "Oh my gosh, because I totally have to bring you to Mystic Grill to try their whiskey burger, it's unbelievable amber-"

"Okay, Okay," I chuckled at her, because she truly reminded me of a friend back home. Something I wished could be closer, but I was appreciative for Caroline's never ending support.

I tried to remind myself that this was temporary, but deep down inside I really hoped this would be extended. It wasn't so much that I cared for Caroline, but just the normalcy of feeling alive was good.

A humbling reminder that anything can go wrong at any moment.

We spent about another hour or two watching tv, while I sat with my journal in hand. I was more focused on reading the notes that I had taking over the course of the last semester.

Obviously not school related.

"Damon Salvatore (dead?) connection to Elena Gilbert... connection to Mystic falls (possible place of origin. Stefan Salvatore, brother of Damon and friend (?) of Caroline. Bonnie Bennett (connection to bennett witch line possibly; maybe witch), dead." words were scribbled all throughout my journal, some being more scratched on than others.

Not much, I had little tidbits.

But why would a vampire with no sympathy, no heart and basically no soul go straight for a human. It was ironic, but a part of me believed that maybe he was truly so evil that he had fun ruining innocent peoples lives.

"Okay, well while you're nose deep in that little journal of yours, I'm gonna go and start packing for tonight." Caroline gathered her bag, before she walked towards the dorm door and gave a small smile while leaving.

Hmm... did he love her? She's so simple, no way.
He's too evil for her, and she's so innocent.

Whatever, more important things to do.

-

Suddenly, I sat next to Caroline while she drove us towards our location. I silently thanked the universe that I was immortal, because she did not know when to break properly. "This," she slowed the car down slightly, near a sign, "is Mystic Falls."

"Hmm, is the town all like this?" I honestly really loved the scenery here, hoping it'd be less crowded than New York.

"No, it's a little more of a city towards the center. This is just the outskirts, but it's pretty right?"

I only nodded in agreement, because the drive was a bit tiring. Trees passed the window in lightning speed, before we came upon it all.
So pretty.

"So, we're staying at your place right now?" I asked, opening a tourist guide for the small town that Caroline had handed me weeks ago.

"Well, yes but I'd like to go introduce you to everyone... maybe hangout, you know?"

"Okay." I was slightly disappointed by the lack of free time I would have to do what I really came here to do.

I mean, I really could just snap her neck or compel her to forget me entirely right now.
Get it over with, but for some reason I just couldn't.

She was so nice to me. Why me?

We suddenly arrived at a long driveway that led up to a beautiful brown house and Caroline breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank God, that drive is officially over!"

A man came out to greet us and he waved at us, faltering when his eyes met mine. "Stefan!" Caroline walked to him. So, this is the brother?

He's hot. Really hot.

I smiled while Caroline introduced us, "This is Amber."

"Hello," he smiled at me lightly, "Amber."

But then he eyed my ring, and I tried to divert his attention by stuffing my hands into the pockets of my jeans. He caught my move, eyeing me with furrowed eyebrows and confusion evident on his face.

I remembered the amount of months it took to convince, moreso threaten, a witch into giving me this damn thing.

"Hi, Stefan..." I smiled, as charmingly as I could and he seemed to be distracted from my ring.
"It's nice to meet you," I lowered my eyes
to his lips briefly, coming back up to appreciate him again.

"You as well," Stefan replied, but Caroline coughed to interrupt the growing tension between us. We both turned to her, "I have plans for tonight!" she holds up a package labeled UNO.

No, this cannot be the same girl I blacked out with these few months.

"Hmm, I was thinking something more Over-the-rocksy, you know?" Stefan spoke the words that reverberated in my head, and I tilt my hand to show I supported his idea.

Caroline rolled her eyes, "We just got back."

"Even the more reason," I finally chimed in, smirking slightly and I begin to get my bags that were left in the backseat.

But Stefan quickly intercepted, grabbing my bags before I could think another thought. Wow, much better than his brother. He was just so... tempting.

A man, and with manners?

I shook my head subtly to shake my conscious back together. I came here for one reason and this was not going to destroy years of suffering.

"Thank you, Stefan."

"No problem."