Three

July 27th, 1989

July 27th, 1989

It was morning and warmth wrapped the surface of my skin through the window. I decided after about 10 minutes of zoning outside to observe the suns light illuminating the trees, it was time to get my self ready.

We were still attempting, because of Joshua. Countless hours were spent practicing, arguing and failing.

Flashes of Malachai sweating, angrily lashing out and our fights flashed throughout my mind. To say I was over all of this was an extreme understatement.

I brushed my teeth and dressed into a simple black tank top with some cuffed jeans. "Shoes... shoes," the underwhelming amount of options I've had due to an unplanned trip was stressing me out.

Converse? No, annoyingly overplayed. Boot heels? Ugh, very 30 year old midwestern mother or an in-denial disco queen. So, I settled on a pair of combat boots, which was my very last option.

I popped my headphones onto the top of my head and connected my walkman. Hmm... I had only brought a few cassettes. Fuck. Pictures of you... the cure? I smiled at the cassette and loaded it into the player.

I walked down the stairs, ignoring my surroundings. I really needed to take a break... from everything going on in my life right now. I was exhausted from our work with Malachai and his stubbornness.

I went out the door, not wanting to be bothered by Josette and her ability to always pester me. Don't get me wrong, the girl's sweet, but god does she have a list of favors and questions.

Have you ever been in your own business a day in your life?

I closed my eyes and let the breeze flow through me. Portland was so beautiful. I'd grown to fall in love with it, the past weeks. The city was so close, but my father kept his handle on me. His voice always reminding me to prioritize the task at hand.

I don't know exactly what occurred but my father fell in debt to the coven leader, and being so gullible, he also felt sympathy for the boy. So, now I was stuck here... and I wasn't even allowed to go shopping. A true shame.

I can't imagine all the hot boys I could have met, during my mini vacation.

I could hear shuffling underneath the riffs of the guitar playing in my ears and I opened my eyes slowly, stopping my stride.

They were not my own steps... I turned around quickly, using one hand to tear off my headphones.

Really?

"Oh, it's you." I said in a condescending tone, not really meaning it... more like halfway meaning it. I wanted him to know i was still upset about our last attempt at "practicing" in the barn, but it was really more like me being his personal punching bag every time.

"In the flesh," he smirked slightly, tilting his head just subtly enough to match his tone. I paused my cassette tape and sighed in annoyance... maybe more so frustration. He's like a kid. A kid that won't stop following me and annoying me with requests.