𝐀 𝐁𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐨𝐧 𝐚 𝐁𝐚𝐬𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐫 | 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐰𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐋𝐢𝐩𝐭𝐨𝐧

❃ ❃ ❃

❃ ❃ ❃

You watched as 1st sargeant Lipton laid on the couch. It pained you to see the condition he was in.

Pneumonia.

You had just gotten off the line in Bastogne and were now in Haguenau. To put it bluntly; it was disgusting, but you'd take it over Bastogne anyday. You did everything you could to take care of Lipton.

You took off your helmet and approached him, handing him a mug of tea. He sat up as you sat next to him.

"Lip you really need to go lay down. There's a bed in the back and Ron found you some fresh sheets. You need to rest."

He drank his tea.

"I know (Y/n), I just want to help the men get situated" he said pointing to Webster who was fresh out of his 2 month stay at the hospital.

"Mr Purple Heart over there can take care of himself. You need to take care of yourself Lip. That's what the men want."

He scoffed at your remark. "You're right" He said as he inched closer to you as if he had a secret. "(Y/n), there's word going around that they're sending out a patrol tonight across the river. they want you to go. I'm trying to talk them out of it but they need your firepower if things go sideways."

"Talk them out of it?" You said curiously.

"Yes. It's dangerous. They want you to secure the prisoners and bring them back across the river." He sighed. "Maybe It's my bias towards you, but the whole situation seems unnecessary to me." He said looking you in the eye. You knew why he didn't want you to go. He wanted you to go home with him after the war. He hadn't asked you yet, but you and Lip could practically read each others minds at this point. You'd been inseparable since Toccoa.

"Lip if they need me to go I'll go. There's nothing I can do about that. It's direct orders." You patted his shoulder. "Now let's get you to bed, how irresponsible of you to get pneumonia at a time like this." You said sarcastically as you directed him to the room.

"Wait." He grabbed your hand. "I want you to check in with me before they send you out." He looked concerned, and rightfully so.

"Of course" you said with a hint of confusion on your face. He walked to the bed and rested his weak body.

"Alright professor" You walked towards Webster. "Let's get you to a bunk."

As you walked out you overheard Speirs and Winters conversation about the night patrol. It really was happening.

You and Webster made your way over to 2nd platoon in which Sargeant Malarkey was now in charge of.

"Hey look what the cat dragged in." Liebgott exclaimed as you and Webster approached.