𝐀 𝐅𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐓𝐨 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐬 | 𝐃𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐝 𝐖𝐞𝐛𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫

❃❃❃

❃❃❃

You unloaded the supplies off of the jeep as you watched the man sitting on the sidewalk, enamored in his current read.

You had seen him many times before. His sharp jawline always just inches away from the pages, his deep blue eyes darting from front to cover. He was always reading a new book with each encounter.

You had never actually talked to him, though he never wandered far. He had unknowingly claimed his spot of the cemented church stairs as his designated reading nook.

You wondered if he had ever noticed you the way you had noticed him. You decided today was the day to approach him.

"Hemingway huh?" You stood in front of him, causing him to break his focus and look up.

"Im sorry?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Well yesterday it was Steinback and now it's Hemingway." You smirked, crossing your arms.

"Well that was yesterdays book...I finished it. How did you know that?" He gazed at you confusingly.

"I've been on a supply detail the past couple of days." You pointed over to the jeep, which your comrades were unloading. "I couldn't help but notice how contently you sat here each day with your nose stuck in a new book each time."

"I didn't realize I was being watched." He smirked, amazed with your attention to detail.

You planted yourself on the concrete next to him as he scooted over to make room.

"I guess I'm just wondering how one person could get through so many books in so little time." You placed your hands on your knees.

"Well, it's not everyday an American man is stationed in a European town with a library the size of the Chrysler building, I'm just taking advantage." He shrugged, giving a chuckle.

"I guess you have a point. What's your current read about?" You pointed to the novel, which was being held open by his thumb.

"A Farewell To Arms." He patted the cover. "A gem amongst many of Hemingways novels. I've read it before."

"That good that you went back for more huh?" You scoffed.

He looked down at the book then back to you. "Well why don't you read it and see?" He extended it out to you.

"Are you sure? You're already halfway through. don't you want to finish it?" You looked down at the book as he nudged it towards you.

"I already know how it ends. I'd much rather hear your opinion on it." He grinned

"I suppose I could give it a read." You reluctantly took the book from his hands, brushing his fingertips.

You flipped through the pages. "I may not read it as fast as you though."