Chapter 11 "The queen's gambit"

My head feels dizzy and my ears start to buzz

My head feels dizzy and my ears start to buzz. There's someone digging in my head. I groan as I sit up from my couch and I realise that the digging was actually inside my head. There's a glass of cold water and a cup of coffee on the table. I quickly gulp down the water and it soothes my scratchy throat. Then I have a sip of the hot coffee. Eww it's really bitter. But I still gulp it down to wake up from this sleep. It takes me a hot minute to wake myself up from this daze and realise that there's someone else in the room with me too. I gasp when my eyes land on none other than my very own brother. Armaan Goenka, my older brother and an asshole. Did I mention that he never had a fixed job? Well that's true to an extent. My brother is a part of the New York mafia that's why I cut off my contact with him and also told him to cut off contact with our parents. While I love my brother to death I don't want to get involved with the gang and possibly ruin my good future. I haven't seen or heard from him in three years and now that he's right here in front of me nostalgia suddenly fills my mind. But then reality hits me in the face and I sit up from the couch and stomp towards him.

"What the hell are you doing here Armaan?! I thought I told you to leave me alone so why are you here? And did you just knock me unconscious? How dare you?!" I yell at him taking out all of my frustration from these past few days.

"Whoa slow down with the questions princess. I'm just here to warn you about something and about a debt you need to pay off." He replies with a sly smirk on his face. God I just want to rip off his eyes and wipe off that smirk on his face! But I cool down myself because he's a mafia prince and anger never works on him and it'll backfire on me.

"Alright then spill. I don't have all day so say what you want and leave me the fuck alone!"

"What the fuck? What's with all these contempt feelings? I'm your brother Neha how could you talk this way about me? I'm honestly very hurt right now." The asshole has the audacity to speak this way when he was the one who hurt me first. Bloody fucker if he wasn't my brother I would've killed him right now.

"Cut the bullshit Armaan say what you want to say. Rhea and Nidhi will be back any time now."

"Ahh why yes your two very loyal and loving friends. I wonder how exactly someone like you became friends with someone like them."

"That's because you wouldn't know the meaning of friendship even if it bit you on your ass. And my life doesn't concern you Armaan you left me and my parents so you have no right to come back now."

"I didn't abandon anyone. I left because you threatened me Neha." He says between gritted teeth and his left eye twitches slightly which means I pissed him off. Good I returned the favour.

"Just tell me why you're here Armaan for fuck's sake."

"You know exactly why I'm here little sister. I presume you met Rohan already. Our mother dearest rang me up yesterday concerned about your whereabouts and she also said that the Maliks have a wedding proposal for you. But imagine my fucking surprise when I saw you with Ahaan Malhotra. Damn little sis you do know how to catch the good guys. But anyway long story short your mother sent Rohan here to ask for your hand in marriage but your boyfriend seemed to scare him off. That's why I'm here sis to stop your rendezvous with this snake of a boyfriend of yours." Every word out of his mouth is like a sting to my heart. First I learn that my parents are in contact with him and secondly my mother sent Rohan to marry me. They didn't even bother asking me about it. My blood boils and a rage covers my mind. Who does my family think they are? And who does my brother think he is to tell me to do something?