New Leaf

Barbara sat up. “Oof.”
She lifted the ice off her ankle. It was swollen and a little bruised. She had to kick that goon wrong. She was still paying the price two days later. She took a long breath out and studied the T.V. Some gaudy reality show was on. Something about a celebrity family she didn’t care too much about.
“What’s wrong?” Jim asked. “You’re not looking so hot.”
“What gave it away?” Barbara placed the ice pack back on her wound and laid back down. “I twisted my ankle a couple days ago. Didn’t realize how bad it was until the swelling started.”
“I’m sorry, honey.” Jim said sympathetically. “Anything I can do for you?”
“You could fix my ankle.” She chuckled.
“If I could, I would…”
She studied her father. He looked like he wanted to share something. She’d wait for him to spill the beans. “So, daddy, is the Black Mask finally transferred to Blackgate?”
“Yeah…” He said, staring at the T.V. now. “I… Montoya arrested the Riddler a couple nights ago.”
Barbara’s heart almost leapt out of her chest. “Yeah. That’s true. I saw it on the news. Looks like Bullock is more competent than he leads on.”
“Babs?” Her father’s brow was furrowed. “Do you still hang out with that Jason kid?”
“Yeah, what’s up?” Barbara felt a lump in her throat as her father thought.
“I just… He was always talking so highly of Batman.”
“What’s not to like. Hell, you’re the one who puts the bat signal up.”
“I know…” Jim took a deep breath in. “There’s new vigilantes on the street.”
“In a good way…?” Barbara said, trying not to play her hand.
“A man and a woman. Riddler reported it himself. Said…he said…shit.” Jim shook his head and finally looked his daughter in the eyes. “Said I would know exactly who it was.”
“Could be a bluff?” She offered.
“Maybe…” Jim grimaced. “If he ever tells you he’s a vigilante… You’d tell me wouldn’t you Babs?”
“Of course, daddy.” Barbara smiled. The lie made the lump in her throat even bigger. “He’s been more interested in that motorcycle of his.”
“Yeah, the black one right?”
Shit. Barbara thought to herself. “Yeah, that’s the one. It goes so fast.”
“You’ve been on it?” He glared.
“Never.” Another lie.
“Good. I just…” Jim looked out the window of the living room. A bright sunny morning. “I worry about you, Babs. This city is dangerous. Every damn corner seems to be spilling over violence, stealing…drugs.”
“Dad…” Barbara said. “I know what I’m doing. I’m not a kid any more.”
“I know…I know.” Jim looked down before clearing his throat. “Well, take it easy on that ankle. I’ll see you for dinner?”
“Lasagna sound good?”
“As long as it’s mom’s recipe.” He grinned.
“Is there any other choice?” She grinned back.
There was a long silence that fell between them.
“Listen dad…” Barbara started. “Batman is showing the city we won’t bend over to the crime lords of the city. We will fight back. It might be a good thing. More help. Since Batman keeps kicking out any help the Justice Society sends.
He scoffed. “The Justice Society. If they really cared, they would’ve helped during the Great Escape.”
“Wasn’t there an alien invasion in New Mexico?”
“…No excuse. Gotham’s biggest criminals are liable to create just as much death and destruction. If only Batman had –” He fell silent as his cell phone rang. He answered it in short order. “Gordon here… Yeah… Really? Yeah, I got it.” He flipped his phone shut. “I got to go princess. See you later?”
“Later daddy.” Barbara waved but Jim came up and kissed her on the forehead.
Jim left the house and their home felt more alone than ever. She let out a loud sigh as she thought about it. Is this really what she wanted to do? After all, Jason and her did take out the Riddler. He was one of the most powerful crime lords in the city. Equal in power to the likes of Penguin, Black Mask, to name a few.
Barbara’s timer went off and she flung herself up. She threw the ice pack to the side as she stood. She put a little wait on it and pain shot up her calf all the way to her hip.
“Damnit.” She cursed. She remembered she had an ankle brace from her high school basketball days. She rushed up stairs, limping the whole way. In a matter of minutes she had shoved her foot into the clunky ankle brace.
She sat down on her bed and looked around. It felt so kiddish. She kind of hated the boy bands, the blonde pop singer, the Wonder Woman poster. Jim reported two adults. Does Batman have stuff like this in his lair?
“Lair…” Barbara said to herself. “That’s what we’re missing.”
“Aren’t lairs for bad guys.”
Jason’s voice made her jump. She turned to door, he was leaning on the frame. “Jason.”
Jason strolled over to her looking down at her ankle. “I thought I heard a pop when you kicked that guy. Is that why you haven’t been answering my calls?”
He stepped closer. His smell made Barbara feel lightheaded. “I – I shouldn’t have gone with you.”
Jason plopped himself down, sitting next to her. Barbara looked down, away from him. She felt a soft touch as he moved a strand of hair away from her face. Tucking it behind her ear he looked her in the eyes. “We did something good Babs.”
“Y-yeah…” Barbara breathed out.
“What’s wrong?”
“I think…you’ve misread the situation.” Barbara said standing up.
“Right…” Jason sighed. “I came here with some good news.”
Barbara tuned to face him, he was holding up a thumb drive. She snatched it from him and walked to her computer. The custom made beast hummed alive as she plugged in the drive. She opened it up and found the lone file inside it. It was a video.
“Hmm.” She clicked on it.
The video blinked alive. It looked to be some type of interview. It was a woman talking, sounded like she was from Southern Gotham. Their unique accent all too apparent.
“And you’re sure of this?” The voice said.
“Who is that?” Barbara paused. “Who’s interviewing her?”
“Don’t know.”
“Fine.”
“It was a few months ago.”
Barbara sighed and pressed play again.
“I just need you to repeat what you said.” Scarecrow’s calm, even voice asked.
“I…I’m ready.” The woman nodded.
“Okay. Starting trial.” The man stood. He briefly appeared in front of the camera. He administered some type of intravenous liquid into her left arm. In a matter of seconds the woman started screaming and shaking.
“She’s having a seizure…” Jason explained as they watched the tape.
Eventually she stopped moving. The scientist lifted her head then attempted to take vitals. He sighed and shook his head. “Time of death, 2311. Mark it.”
The video ended.
“What the hell Jason. This snuff film better have some importance.”
“Facial recognition software you invented for me.”
“…Yeah?”
“The scientist who injected her. None other than LexCorp’s lead scientist of their temporal division: Percival Sutter.”
“Temporal?” Barbara pondered. “Why the injections then.”
“Exactly!” Jason hit her desk. “We got a case right in front of us.”
“Where’d you get this?”
“Dark web. Gotham has a dark website that implores Batman to look into certain crimes. But he can’t cover them all. This one is 53rd on the active list.”
“Damn…” Barbara sighed. “So many crimes…”
“Yes, but we can help him clean up the filth.”
“You sure this isn’t just a trap?”
“Only one way to find out. He has a lecture at Gotham University today. A night lecture to special alumni.”
“That’s odd. What’s the plan?”
“Time to suit up.” Jason smiled.