Waiting

Two weeks later…
Barbara sighed and pushed her king piece over. “And with that checkmate, that makes it what? Three in a row?”
Jason grinned at his most recent victory. Barbara stood and stretched. Her body was sorer than it had ever been. The rigorous workouts Batman and Robin put them through really were difficult. But they couldn’t be here 24/7. Leading to a lot of down time between Jason and Barbara. She looked around and walked to the computer. The sun peaked through the giant, frosted windows of the Belfry. She squinted up and out.
“What’s on your mind Babs?” Jason asked.
Barbara didn’t turn her head, “Do you think we’ll ever be ready?”
“Hard to say.” Jason shrugged.
“I’d say you’re almost there.” Robin’s voice made them jump.
They turned quick. To Barbara’s surprise it wasn’t Robin. At least, not the way she was used to being trained by him. The past two weeks, both Batman and Robin had remained in their hero uniforms. But now, a lean man in a blue sweater and grey sweats. Barbara’s eyes lingered on his assets. His bulge was pretty large. She averted her eyes quickly when she noticed that Robin had a grin on his face.
“So!” Barbara clapped her hands. “Finally revealing your identity.”
“You don’t recognize me?” Robin pursed his lips. “No matter.”
“I do.” Jason said. “One of the flying Grayson’s. I heard all of you died.”
“All but one. Richard Grayson. Most people call me Dick though.”
“Dick.” Barbara nodded. “The last of the Flying Grayson’s. It’s an honor.” Barbara holds out her hand. Dick turns his head but accepts the handshake. “Nice to meet you for real this time.”
“Touche.” Dick grinned. He snapped. “So, ready for today’s workout?”
“As always.” Jason said.
Thus, began their training. Beginning with cardio leading into weight lifting and, finally, the stretching. Barbara was bending over, stretching out her hamstrings when she stood up, she noticed Jason and Dick staring at her. She smirked and they both looked away, faces turning red. She rolled her eyes and cleared her throat.
“So…when will we go out again? Me and Jason are kind of getting antsy in here.”
“All in due time.” Dick said with a finger up. “One at a time. I’m sorry to says Babara but…Batman has chosen Jason for tonight.”
“Why not both of us!?” Jason retorted. “We’re both ready.”
“I know.” Dick held his hands up. “It was more of a coin flip. Batman wants to be able to monitor you carefully. Trying to watch both of you at once will spread himself too thin. Well, thinner than he would like. So, Jason. You ready to take on the Robin mantle?”
“Robin?” Barbara gasped and put a supportive hand on Jason. “Look at you.”
Jason turned his head. “If I’m going to be Robin where does that leave you?”
“I’ll be heading out of town. Place called Bludhaven.?
“That city is almost as bad as Gotham.” Jason shook his head.
“Right. But I’m on lease to the Justice Society.”
“Which member?” Barbara asked excitedly.
“Green Arrow and his ward.”
“Who’s his ward?” Jason asks,
“Red Arrow?” Dick turned his head. “Or is it Speedy? Either way, we are moving in on a rather large case.”
“No details for us?” Barbara pouted.
“Not yet.” Dick smiled. He looked out towards the window. The sun was setting outside, casting a pink and purple glow on the Belfry. “Mr. Todd. It looks like your time may be here. Follow me.”
The walked over to the shop section of the Belfry. Jason and Barbara had already seen the big reveal but assumed it didn’t work. Sure enough, Dick walked over to the tarp that covered what Jason and Barbara had to assume was a motorcycle.
“Congrats.” Dick smiled. “This one? Is yours Jason.”
“What about me?” Barbara protested.
“All in due time.” Dick waved a finger. “Get dressed Jason, and I’ll show you how to use the beast. It’s a little different than the motorcycle you use. Similar in many ways so I assume you can catch on.”
Jason grinned and went to the suit station. There was a dressing room and their homemade outfits.
“When will we get our own outfits?” Barbara asked while Jason got ready.
“Ah.” Dick smiled. “Once Jason leaves I will show you how we go about building the perfect suit for you.”
Barbara nodded and they waited. Jason soon revealed himself in his leather jacket and red helmet. “Alright show me the ropes.”
Barbara strolled over to the kitchen. She was just now realizing how tired she was. Making herself a cup of coffee she watched from afar as Jason got the ins and outs of his new toy. He had a huge grin on his face the whole time it was being explained to him. He was led to a wall. Dick placed a hand on a portion of the wall and a freight elevator revealed itself. Barbara rushed over.
“And here I thought we discovered everything in the Belfry.” Jason crossed his arms.
Barbara whistled, admiring the sleek black motorcycle. “So, what to we call this one? That Batcycle?”
Jason laughed but Dick simply stated, “Yep.”
“Oh.” Jason stopped laughing. “Damn, everything really is bat themed.”
“Bit of an obsession.” Dick shrugged his shoulders. “Anyways. Your helmet has a HUD doesn’t it?”
“Babs design.” Jason grinned. “You have access.”
“We got access shortly after we discovered your existence.” Dick smiled. “But, Batman did have a hard time cracking your ICE.”
Barbara now shrugged. “I do some of my best work under pressure.”
“Is that so?” Dick turned towards her, for the first time really seeing her.
They shared a moment staring at each other. Barbara knew he was a handsome man. Athletic and charming. But now he was even more special. Without the hero suit, he was just a goofy guy.
“So!” Jason cleared his throat. “I’ll see you two kids later.”
Barbara glared at him as he smirked, pushing the bike into the elevator. “Guess, I’ll see you later Babs.”
Barbara gave him a small wave. “Don’t do anything stupid.”
“Think we passed that point a while ago.” Jason shook his head with a chuckle. “Take care of her, Dick.”
“She’ll be in good hands. Maybe we’ll watch some TV.”
“You’re not going out tonight?” Barbara asked.
“I have a job tonight too. While Batman tests Jason. I have my own set of tests I got to put you through.” Barbara raised an eyebrow. “Nothing to serious.”
“Until then.” Jason interrupted. He roared the engine alive. This one was much louder than the Batmobil but still more silent than their own motorcycles. Dick and Barbara watched him until the door closed. The hum of the elevator eventually disappearing.
“Let’s get these tests over with.” Barbara said heading towards the common room upstairs. When she didn’t hear Dick following her, she turned. “You coming?”
Dick was grinning. “Always the eager one. But before we go up there. Let’s head to Batcomputer.”
“You can’t be serious.” Barbara chuckled looking at the mammoth of computing power in the center of the far wall. “Bat everything.”
“Be careful, he might give you a code name with bat in it.”
“Ugh, let’s hope not. Speaking of,” they started strolling towards the computer. “if Jason is taking up the mantle of Robin. Where does that leave you?”
“I don’t know quite yet. I have a few ideas though.” They stopped in front of the computer. “Okay. I need you to strip and stand here.”
“Excuse me?”
“Body scan.” Dick smiled. “Nothing perverted, the scan will get your exact measurements. Makes the suit as snug as possible without being constricting. And…” He trailed off as Barbara stripped to her underwear.
“Good enough?” Barbara asked.
Dick gulped and said, “Yep. Uhm…just stand still and this will be over before you know it.”