The Batman

They hunted their prey as he strolled across campus. To the average passerby, they may look like a couple of people in their helmets and biker gear on. But there were ready to strike this monster as soon as he was alone. There chance was almost immediate as he turned down a poorly lit section of the campus. They moved quick, coming up from behind him and Jason restrained him. He screamed for help.
“Shut up.” Barbara said, jamming her tonfa into his side. “I’m sure you know I can end you with one pull of the trigger.” Hopefully, he would fall for this.
“What the hell do you want?” He said calmly. His bald head and blank stare made him look a little intimidated.
“Couple months ago you performed an experiment that got one or more of your test subjects death. What is it and why?” Jason asked.
“You expect me to reveal my secrets here? On campus where anyone can just walk up?”
“Follow us.” Jason instructed as they led him to another building. This one was merely labeled [Science Building]. They found an empty lecture hall and threw him in. They kept the lights off and surrounded him.
“Tell me everything you know.” Barbara probed.
“Fuck off bitch.”
A swift punch to the doctor’s gut had him wheezing. “When…when I…don’t show up…”
“They won’t come looking for you.” Jason glared. “Not in time anyways.”
“What were you doing injecting that woman with drugs?”
The doctor rolled his eyes and looked away. “I don’t have to put up with this. I am a law-abiding citizen.”
“Tell us or I start with your fingers.” Barbara grunted.
“You can do whatever you want –” Barbara snatched his hand and his pinky. “Wait! Wait, wait, wait… Come on.” He smiled. “You don’t have to do this.”
“We need answers.” Jason glared.
“I don’t know anything!”
*Snap*
“Gah!” The doctor started screaming, hold his hand. He held his shaky hand up and looked at the deformed pinky. It was bent into a C-shape it never should be in. “You bitch!”
“Answers Dr. Sutter!”
Sutter breathed hard and fast but he eventually let out an exaggerated sigh. “Temporal jumping…”
“A time jump. What does it mean?” Barbara pressed. “Why an injection?”
“Tachyons are well known particulates… We fear travelling through time would rip the average person’s body apart. The formula was designed to redirect any incoming tachyon particles. I didn’t… she didn’t die from the formula per say. She died from tachyon exposure at levels never seen before.”
“Sounds like a confession to me.” Barbara looked to Jason.
“Got it on record.” Jason grinned.
“Doesn’t matter…” Sutter sighed. “The Owls learned I talked…they’ll crucify me.”
“You know about the owls?” Barbara asked, remembering them being mentioned by Bane. “We can protect you.”
“No you can’t.” Sutter shook his head. “No one can. Not against the Court.”
“The court? Court of what, owls?” Jason turned his head.
“Exactly that.”
“The Court of Owls.” Barbara breathed out.
“Enough!” A deep voice boomed from behind them.
From the back of the room two figures emerged. One in all black and pointy ears. The other in green, gold and grey.
“Good lord…” Barbara breathed out. Right in front of her, was Batman. The man, the myth of Gotham. “Batman and Robin.”
“So, you do have new wards.” Sutter glared.
“They’re not mine.” Batman retorted. “You do sloppy work.”
“At least we’re trying.” Jason scoffed.
“Trying to make the trail on the owls go cold?” Robin’s upbeat voice jested.
“We’re trying to get information out of him.” Barbara said.
“Dr. Sutter.” Batman said. “Worked on several time anomaly projects for S.T.A.R Labs. That is before your methods became quiet questionable. They already made you confess your crimes. Now tell us where we can find more owls… Before I get involved.”
There was a long silence as the doctor pondered his options.
“Any day now.” Robin chuckled.
“2239 E Valiant St. Downtown Gotham.”
“That’s the mayor’s office.” Batman shook his head. “I need real answers.”
“And it’s just the tip of the iceberg.” Sutter laughed. “You have no idea how deep this goes.”
“Then lead the way.”
“I’m already dead.” Sutter shook his head, looking around. “You’re not my only tails.”
Batman strolled up to the doctor. Peering down at him, Barbara had to guess he had to be nearly 6’4”. Batman lifted the doctor up by the collar. “I need more than just speculation.”
“Fine. My home, I’m sure you surveillance junky bastards know where. I keep everything I need to expose my captors on my computer. It wasn’t enough to protect me… But maybe it’ll be enough for the world’s great detective to solve.”
“Good.” Batman dropped him. “Robin take him to the batmobile. I need to talk to our new little friends.”
“Good luck.” Robin laughed as he hoisted the doctor over his shoulder. “See ya around.”
He saluted and walked straight out the door. The doors clanged shut with a bit of finality to the original reason they were there. Now, they were standing in front of the legend himself.
“Batman…” Barbara swallowed. “Nice to meet you, I’m –”
“Barbara Gordon.” Batman simply stated. “This must be Jason Todd, your criminal contact. Heard a lot about you Jason. Lot of bad things.”
“I turned my life around.”
“Criminals…rarely change. Tactics sure, but the illegality is still there.”
“Hey fuck you bats.” Jason said.
Batman smirked. “You two have moxy, I’ll give you that much. But I don’t think I can standby and let you do stupid operations like this.”
“Stupid?” Jason stepped forward.
“Jason.” Barbara placed a light hand on his shoulder. “Easy.”
Jason scoffed but backed down.
“You have two choices…”
“Turn ourselves in?” Barbara now scoffed.
“Yes.” Batman said simply. “I imagine Jim would be quite displeased to know what his daughter is getting up to these days.”
Barbara merely glared back at him.
“No matter.” Batman continued. “For there is another option… You join me as wards of the Batman. Help me protect Gotham.”
Barbara and Jason stood there stunned. Had Batman really asked them to be his wards? They both shared a look of shock and awe. Jason was the first to attempt to speak. “I – I – I… Well, I… I don’t…”
“We’d love to.” Barbara spoke up.
“Good. If you show enough potential, you will come on patrol with me.”
“We can handle ourselves.”
“Can you?” Batman retorted. “Like how you handled your League of Assassin tails?”
“League of Assassins?” Jason asked.
“Yes. They found out two vigilantes were out and that they got the Riddler arrested. Bane didn’t like that. He wanted them away from the Narrows not arrested. He sent a killer after you.”
“And you arrested them?”
“Her.” Batman sighed. “She escaped.”
“What a lucky surprise. No evidence of our tail.” Jason retorted.
“I have no reason to lie to you two.” Batman said calmly. “I speak in facts. The fact of the matter is, you two are in the deep end of a very large pool. I’m offering a lifeline.”
“And we said we’d take it.” Jason glared.
Batman looked around the dark lecture hall. “I used to go to classes here. Professor Giano. Taught basics of biology here…”
“And?” Barbara asked.
“I grew up in this city. I love this city. I want what’s best for it. What do you two want?”
“To stop crime in Gotham. No matter what.” Jason said.
“To get my father to retire a successful and happy cop. That starts with helping him clean up the city.”
Batman squinted at them. “Fine. Follow me.”
The Batman strolled out of the room and after sharing one last look, Barbara and Jason followed him out.