three

Johnnie returned to his dorm after class and noticed that Jake wasn't there. He wondered where he disappeared to after getting kicked out. Johnnie had never seen someone talk back to a teacher like that before. He wished he had the same strength to stand up to those guys who were talking shit about him. Johnnie threw his bag onto the floor and sighed as he sat down at his desk.

For some reason he still had the poster in his hands. When he looked at it, all he could think about was he and Ian's dream to win the competition. He knew it was never going to happen and that even thinking about it was pointless. So why could he not throw it away like he threw away his dreams?

Johnnie opened his drawer and pulled out one of his songwriting books. He flipped through the scribbled pages until he reached the last entry. It was the song they were writing together for Battle of the Bands, titled "Trancesylvania." The song was unfinished, because halfway through writing it, Ian—

Johnnie closed the book. His mind was heavy and tired and his body felt the same way too. If he thought about what happened to Ian again, he might explode. So he stood up and left the poster on the desk. He grabbed a change of clothes and disappeared into the washroom. He made the shower scalding hot and stood still under the streaming water.

He closed his eyes and the image of himself and Ian on stage in front of a sea of fans floated back into his mind. Johnnie pictured himself approaching the mic and opening his mouth to sing. He took the shampoo bottle beside him, pretending it was a mic and he brought it to his lips.

"Caught in a trance, trapped in a dream, not everything is as it seems. I wish you were real and I wish you were here because maybe you could make me heal. You make my mind blank and it feels like I'm under attack. You're something surreal, I'm caught in a trance, and I can't wake up."

He lowered the bottle slowly. His mind truly was blank because he didn't know what lyrics would come next. He just couldn't picture himself writing the song without Ian.

Johnnie put down the shampoo and then picked up the body wash, lathering it around his body. He stepped out of the shower after he was done and stood dripping wet in the middle of the washroom. He reached to grab his towel but only got a fistful of his clothes instead.

He pinched the bridge of his nose tiredly. Of course he would forget his towel, why wouldn't he? That was just the icing on top of the cake after the shitty day he already had.

"Fuck," he muttered as he barged through the door. He froze when he saw Jake sitting across the room on his bed. His sunglasses were pushed up onto his forehead and a cigarette hung out of his mouth. 

He stared at Johnnie, his eyes falling down to his bare crotch. He smirked and removed the cigarette from his lips, his eyes still on his package. "Wow...I was not expecting that."

Johnnie scrambled to grab his towel off of his bed and wrapped it around his waist quickly. He clenched his teeth, trying to stop his face from turning red. "I...I forgot my towel, and I didn't know you were here—"

"Dude, I don't need an explanation, it's alright. And I'm not exactly complaining either,"

"What?" Johnnie started coughing as the cigarette smoke suddenly hit him, "hey, you're not supposed to be smoking in here," he walked over to the window and cracked it open. When he turned back towards the washroom, he noticed the poster was gone from his desk.

He looked over at Jake and saw that it was in his hand. Johnnie stalked towards him and tried to snatch it away but Jake moved his hand quickly.

"Hey, I'm looking at this," Jake muttered.

"Why are you touching my stuff?"

"Actually technically you got this from someone else so it's not really yours."