Chapter 12: Let it Be

Sam and I sat there gulping our beers, an awkward tension lingering in the air. I set my empty bottle down on the table afterwards. The sound of glass scraping the wood echoing in my ears. I cleared my throat and stood up. Sam said nothing, only watched me closely. Grabbing my tablet, I sat back down at the rickety little table by the window. The light flickered on my tablet as I took it off sleep mode. Sam still watched me as I began typing. I tried in vane to concentrate on the task at hand, all the while being keenly aware of his unwavering gaze. "What are you doing Alex?" He asked hesitantly in a tone that led me to believe he already knew the answer. "Wouldn't it be best if we get a jump on how to get your soul back? That way when your brother returns we already have a plan." Sam sighed and suddenly stood up from the bed. I was terrified he'd take off and I immediately stopped what I was doing to question him.

"Where you going Sam?" He sighed once more in frustration, "I'm just grabbing a drink Alex. Calm down. I'll be back." "I'm not sure if.." Sam interrupted me and in a flash had me backed into the wall. His hands pinned my arms back as he whispered in my ear. "Do you really think you can stop me Alex?" I inhaled sharply and closed my eyes. There seemed to be a fine line at this point between keeping him in check and not completely pissing him off. My heart thudded in my chest. I could feel his breath hot on my neck as his lips ever so slightly grazed my ear. Sam grabbed me by the wrist, pinning my arms against the wall above my head. My body betrayed me as a soft involuntary moan escaped my mouth. Sam's voice came out in a low, slightly dangerous tone. "I am getting a drink. Don't worry Alex, I WILL deal with you later." I was suddenly released, my eyes snapped open just in time to see him disappear around the corner of the bedroom door.

I let out my breath in relief and headed back to my tablet. Swiping it from the table I headed to the bed and laid against the headboard. I was determined to have some sort of lead we could follow up before Dean returned. I spent the next few hours searching sources and comparing it to the files of existing research saved on my tablet. I turned over on my side in frustration, silently cursing myself. It felt as though all I'd managed to do was waste time. Suddenly an idea popped up in my head, immediately followed by a wide grin as I realized I was finally onto something. I sat up, hunched over my tablet. A renewed sense of energy as I cross-referenced a website I found with my own archives. Sam suddenly swung open the door and I looked up at him in excitement. My words came spilling out in a rush before I'd processed what was in front of me. "Sam, I think I'm finally on to something. There's no time to waste. We NEED to go to Dean and start gathering ingredients!"

Sam chuckled and the scene before me began to sink in as I realised it wasn't a friendly laugh. Sam shut the door and pushed a chair up against it to keep it shut. I sensed danger, confirmed by the nearly empty fifth in his hand. A glint of metal caught my eye in his other hand. "What do you have there Sam?" I asked as I shot from the bed, suddenly feeling very trapped. Sam took the last swig of alcohol from the bottle and threw it against the bathroom sink. The noise was startling, I jumped and began to slowly inch away from him. I looked back and forth between him and the door, fear setting it dawned on me how totally screwed I was. Sam inched forward, looking down at me with a soulless grin. He definitely had no intention of leaving with me to go find his brother. I heard the clanking of metal as I realized he was holding shackles, attached by a rather long chain.

"Sam, don't do this. Please," It was as if my voice was echoing into an empty room. He closed in on me as I raised my hands up defensively. Big mistake. Sam's long fingers clamped down on my wrists and he drug me over to the bed, throwing me into it. He sat on top of me and secured the handcuffs on my wrists. My arms began to spread to the sides of the bed as he wrapped the chain around the back of the headboard. I began kicking and twisting my hips, panic rising in my throat. "Don't fight it Alex," Sam spoke, in a commanding tone, void of emotion. I opened my mouth to speak when he darted across the room with ease. Sam turned off the lights, an inky blackness enveloping us. I wasn't quite sure what he had planned and the not knowing sent prickling fear down my spine. "Sam!" I yelled, desperately trying to be firm and gain back my power in an absolutely hopeless situation.