17🐾Lies Untold

"Obelisk was right about one thing. There's no owls in these woods," Bronx said without fault as he avoided her gaze and stared towards the dirt wall.

"I ordered North to kill your white pup."

With tears beginning to well in her eyes, Gypsy's ragged breaths grew louder.

"You don't even remember his name? I just said it two seconds ago!" She spat with undisclosed putrid anger, choking on her own disbelief.

Bronx ignored her question, and swept on.

"I never fed that ragged, worthless old male. He's not worth more than a pile of leaf-litter." Finally, the male's dark brown gaze found her's. Gypsy resumed her defensive crouch, blood roaring in her ears as Bronx made his sickening confessions.

"Except for the day you wanted me to do it. Oh, and- by the way. North's puppies never died from disease. I killed them."

With a profound gasp, she bared her teeth at the hulking male. "What about Kiwi?" The mother-dog whispered. But.... I watched her die.

"Oh, no, love. That sickness was all your fault. An inconvenient death at best... I wanted Kiwi around so she could grow up and benefit the pack."

Silence stretched on. For some reason, Ace hadn't come. North hadn't come. And Gypsy was too shocked to wonder if they had confronted each other by now.

"Why? What's the point in all this?"

The brown-and-white male stared at her for a long moment, then sat down with a robust sigh.

"When I was an adolescent, not much older than Lavender is now..." He began testily.

Gypsy listened in concerned silence with her hackles risen in putrid disgust. There was a hollow feeling in her chest, making her wonder if Bronx had ever loved her at all.

"The pack that lived here was large and strong. We hunted for our food out of garbage cans, and every season there was a new litter of pups. The pack's social life was booming. But... mine wasn't." His eyes were nearly all that Gypsy could see within the blanket of gloom.

"I began to understand that the other dogs didn't like me as much because of how bossy and possessive I was," Bronx chuckled. As if you're not still that? The white Pitbull wondered without saying it outright. She avoided his gaze by looking at her toes. The gut-wrenching stabs of betrayal roiling in her belly told her this wasn't headed anywhere good.

"And... Thoughts of becoming leader myself kept growing stronger and stronger. Of course, I waited a year to make my plans. My father was often vulnerable and lazy, so I killed him alone one day. To make sure he wasn't ever found, I pushed his body far out into the lake one night."

Bronx licked his lips as he recalled the memory. Gypsy just sat quietly with her heart racing faster than a rabbit's feet.

"The lie I told was that he had been hit by a car, and then taken away by people. But, of course- I suppose because I was the last to be seen with him, other dogs grew suspicious." Bronx sounded almost proud as he puffed out his white chest, turned into a deep violet-grey in the shadows.

"So I killed his mother and brother off in the same way... As they were his closest advisors. It wasn't easy... but after I dumped their bodies the pack fell into disarray."

Confused, Gypsy nervously scooted away before questioning, "How did you kill your father-dog, his brother and Obelisk's mate without fault? They must have been huge dogs, larger than even you." Skeptically, Gypsy let a bit of disbelief creep into her voice. Her fear was receding in the hope that Bronx was lying about these confessions in some sort of twisted joke.