19 🐾 A Pitbull's Past

As Gypsy looked over her shoulder, slipping from the tree-line with Finn in her grasp, she finally realized who it was behind her.

North's legs were a blur against the earth, the young black dog's head bobbing up and down as she pursued. And a few yards behind her, was Ace.

The black-and-cream husky mix followed in more of a distracted lope, as if he were listening to something as he followed behind North.

Ghost must be telling him what's happening. And why.

She swung her neck back to facing forward and focused on the road she was about to surpass. This time, the motherdog hardly stopped to glance both ways and was lucky enough not to be hit by a car.

The Pitbull flattened her ears at her own stupidity. I need to be more careful. After all, if I get hit then so does Finn.

Her reckless fleeing was also causing Finn to jerk and bounce against her chest, but this was the least of Gypsy's worries as she headed West.

The few neighborhoods she had to pass until the next road were almost unrecognizable in her limping scramble across roads, through yards and between parked cars.

Gypsy then came to an intersection that was far busier than the last road she had crossed. Cars zoomed all along it, and so she had to set Finn down upon the ground as she avoided the thought of what she was about to do.

"Mama! Where are we going now?" Finn complained up at her and scooted closer to her legs, sheltering from the buffeting winds.

"I... Have to take you to a nice place with lots of people." Gypsy's breath was stolen from her throat, so choked full of emotion that she couldn't continue. Meanwhile, Finn underneath her looked very uncertain.

"But I wanted to stay with you. It's not fair! None of us ever get to stay with you," the brown-and-white furred puppy whispered, a deep frown on his young face. His eyes reflected the unsettled, dark clouds above.

"I'm sorry too, my precious pup." She felt fondness fill her heart as she stooped closer to her last child.

"Gypsy, I told Ace." Ghost's voice piped up- filling her ears as she cuddled Finn beside the road.

"But I still don't understand why this has happened to you, of all dogs, after your first litter..." Gypsy looked around for him, and finally saw Ghost not far off- behind her and glowing underneath the starry night.

The white she-dog shot him a reproachful look for bringing it up again, and then sighed. Her head felt lighter as she began to accept the memories.

"Maybe I deserve it, Ghost. Maybe I'm a bad dog."

"No, you're not Gypsy. You can't be. I've watched you and Ace for such a long time now, and I can tell that you're good souls. I often wonder if I am, you know. But I feel somehow that this isn't about me."

"I could be, though. You don't understand. You don't know-"

But Ghost interrupted, his white hat and dusty boots just as much aglow as his whiskered face.

"I do. At least... Some of it. But I think you should remember it yourself, Gypsy."

The mother-dog blinked her tears away, an upsetting memory flowing over her. And somehow, she knew that she was sharing it with Ghost.

___________( here's Gypsy's flashback from 1 year ago )

It was a sunwashed summer evening. The Manson family was in their RV, all looking out their windows to enjoy the view.