22 Finn🐾 Golden Hearts💛

_________

_________

"Finn."

The little puppy twisted his neck around as he sat, stilled and looking over at his mother's body. Waiting for her to get up.

"Ace... Why isn't she... moving?" He searched the thin husky mix's gaze, beyond greatful for a familiar face.

"She's asleep for now. But you'll see her again later... After you're all grown up. Now, you have to come with me."

Finn stared up at Ace with a challenge in his gaze. "But I want to go where she's going." He'd never been the argumentative type, but how was Ace of all dogs telling him this?

"You have to." The husky's reply was patient, but he didn't explain any further. His gaze, thought upset, swept across Finn's resolutely.

The pup furrowed his brow. That's not fair! I have the best Mommy ever, and I want to see her all the time. And I want to see my brothers, and Kiwi again...! For once, ever-so cheerful Finn felt a black cloud enclose around his aura.

But the little puppy didn't argue anymore. If you asked him, going anywhere other than here was better. His hour spent beside the road had felt like days. His paws were tired, even though his mother had done most of the running all day.

As Ace carried him across the road, the pup looked back at his bare patch of grass above the curb.

He thought of Gypsy's last words.

She always comes back for me. But this time, she didn't.

And she isn't ever going to, is she? She's...like North.

His muzzle wrinkled with sorrow. He didn't want to wait on his mother. He wanted her soft, white pelt now. Finn wanted to comfort her, just as she had always comforted him.

The young puppy was towed along in midair by his scruff, through the legs of countless people. Jeans, leggings, khakis and sweatpants flashed by, his nose twitching with the scents. Ace crossed the road without speaking, carefuly and with watchful blue eyes flicking to and fro.

As they approached the foggy-glass door, Finn saw blobs of people walking around inside. Ace flattened his ears, beggining to grow nervous at all the people amuck.

The windows beside the door were clean and clear, and both could even see another dog or two walking across the linoleum floors. Behind them, people talked and chatted as they walked along. But Ace and Finn were far enough under the overhang to hardly be noticed.

The male husky set him down on the very first step, right next to the giant door with paw-prints and heart laminations splattered across it. The older male dog knew he must make his retreat quick- or else they'd take him inside, too.

"I'm so sorry I can't go with you," Ace said while giving Finn a lick on the nose.

"But don't move from this spot until a human picks you up. They'll feed you and care for you, and you'll find a nice family." Ace held the pup's gaze with compelling sympathy. His blue irises bore into Finn's.
"I'm sorry Finn, I love you. You were always like my son, little one. And you were always the bravest one of all. Try to be happy. Love your mother, and remember the best parts of her, sweet pup." With his voice catching, and feeling his legs jerk as they fought to turn around, Ace retreated further down the sidewalk.

He slunk behind a postbox that was swathed in shadow beside two parked cars. The people who noticed him glanced down at his huddled figure nervously, but didn't pursue.

Meanwhile, Finn was patiently waiting at the front door of the animal shelter. After only a few minutes of looking around, amiss and a bit panicked at being alone again, the puppy heard footsteps.

They came from inside the building. A concerned wrinkle-faced woman opened the door just a crack, trying not to crush Finn.

She then said, in a friendly and soothing tone, "Hello puppy...? Did someone leave you here during rush hour? Oh my. Too lazy to walk in and fill out a form." The elderly woman fretted, and adjusted her glasses as she kneeled down.

After seeing Finn's adorable floppy ears and buttery-brown pelt, the woman gasped. Her saggy arms shook, and Finn wagged his tail at the expression.

"Heavenly. Well, I just know you'll get adopted quick! Let's get you in here. What's your name? Or haven't you got one, if not even a collar?" The lady scoffed condescending as she picked up Finn.

Then, looking both ways with her head out the door, the shrugged. And turned to walk back inside, Finn in tow.

"Someone found some puppies yesterday evening, actually. I bet you'd love to meet them! You know, I thought about adopting one myself, but my cats-..." She rambled on, as Finn looked up at her with huge admiring eyes.

~

Food, blankets, toys! Anything he could want. All within Finn's grasp, nearly at any moment of the day.

Of course, they only left him with hard toys at night. And his food was portioned. And either way, TOYS AND FOOD!!!

Finn wagged his tail just thinking about it, then pounced on his toy in the shelter cage.

Being alone wasn't so bad if you had something to play with. All Finn needed was one thing to distract himself, to enable him to focus on the positive and blot out the negative.

Just like Gypsy and Ace had taught him.

Be happy, live in the moment. Don't cry because you lost them, smile because you're waiting.

The brown-and white Pittie puppy shook the rope toy with all his might, banging it against the metal kenneling.

He almost didn't hear the dogs barking. Didn't hear the door opening.

And certainly didn't hear the human exclaim "Buster! Remember those new friends I told you about? I brought them!"

Then, his ears lifted and he finally dropped his toy. Rambunctious along with the other caged dogs, Finn pressed his paws to the glass. His young puppy eyes were shining with delight as he saw the human coming around the corner.

She had something in her hands. No, two something's- that were furry and familiar and their tails also wagging and it was...

Copper! And Lavender, the male's realization exploded into his mind, radiating throughout his body in a little puppy dance.

"Finn! I can't believe it's you!" His brother squirmed, ever-so-desperate to get on the groud and through the gate.

Instead, Finn was let out and the two puppies reunited, jumping into each other with eager face-licks and tail wags.

___________
Copper

___________Copper