「 𝟔 」Shaking Grounds

chapter six; SHAKING GROUNDS
26th december 2023

The mentors stood lined up beside their tributes

The mentors stood lined up beside their tributes. Annie watched Coriolanus speed past them and to the front where Lucy Gray stood. Soon the line started moving. They walked into the dark arena. A cheerful voice saying, "Enjoy the show!" everytime someone entered. The arena got lit up and the cameras filmed all around.

The mentors walked around with their tributes. Or at least most of them did. "Ann, what did you mean when you said we are going to tell your brother that I have to use the toilet?" Treech asked as they looked around for hiding spots. "Don't worry about it. You'll understand later to—" Annie assured him but was cut off by someone.

"Hey lumberjack," Coral called out. Mizzen and Tanner stood behind her. Annie smiled softly at Mizzen. He did it back, but made sure Coral didn't see it. Treech took a glimpse at Annie before calling out to Lamina. The red head started walking towards them slowly. Aden was watching the scene unfold from some feet away. "No, no. Just you. Just you." Coral said. Treech looked back at Lamina before turning to Annie. He wanted to know what she wanted him to do. Annie shrugged but nodded slowly.

Treech looked down at the ground but soon walked over to Coral and her pack. The camera came close to Lamina's face to capture her reaction. Aden walked over and told the cameraman to move it. "Don't worry, you'll be fine." Aden said to Lamina as he watched tears fill the brim of her eyes. Annie noticed that Treech seemed busy talking with Coral and the others, so Annie went to Lamina, hoping to bring comfort.

Lamina had recognized the peacekeeper to be the same who took the bag yesterday. She nodded at him and sniffled. When Annie was about to reach them, she felt the ground shake. An explosion made everyone fall to the ground. Aden reached out for both girls and shielded them from the rubbles coming down.

Slowly Aden started guiding them. Annie coughed and blinked due to the smoke and dust. "Annie!" she recognized the voice to be Treech. Annie shared a look with her brother before leaving his arms. That gave Aden more space to shield Lamina. He protected her and kept her close.

Annie was running to where she heard the yell come from. But when another bomb hit Annie fell to her knees. A rubble had hit her face. She could feel her bleeding from the lip and cheek. The blood dripped on the ground. But Annie got up and yelled for her tribute.

"Treech!"

"Annie!" He was closer than before. Annie could barely see him through the smoke. She ran into his arms and pulled him with her. He whimpered as his foot hit the ground. Annie made sure to look up every now and then to see if parts of the roof were falling down where they were. Treech hissed a few times and ran slow. Annie noticed him limp. She put his arm over her shoulder, letting his weight be on her instead of the hurting foot.

Lucy Gray let out a cry, trying to help Coriolanus from where he was stuck. Annie changed direction towards them. She let go of Treech who stumbled but still stayed up. Annie fell to her knees and helped Lucy Gray lift whatever that was on Coriolanus. Soon both Treech and Lucy Gray were grabbed by the peacekeepers. Annie stayed with Coriolanus as the peacekeepers top priority was to find the tributes, not to help the ones hurt.