「 𝟏𝟎 」Mercy Or Murder?

chapter ten; MERCY OR MURDER?
18th january 2024

The kids ran towards the middle of the arena, where all the weapons were placed

The kids ran towards the middle of the arena, where all the weapons were placed. Treech had reached for an axe and was now about to attack Lucy Gray. Juno Phipps had puked on the floor a few seats from Annie. Annie's attention turned to her for quick second. She winced and turned away. Treech swung his axe at Lucy Gray. He missed as she backed up and rolled down a rubble.

A dagger flew at Treech, making him lose his grip on the axe. He groaned and held his arm. Then Lucy Gray took her chance to run. Coral's trident missed Lucy Gray, hitting someone else instead. Jessup and his tribute partner ran towards the hole in the ground. The pack hurried after them. So did Sol and Hy. Lucy Gray kicked a door desperately.

But it wouldn't budge. The girl laid down and crawled through the small opening at the bottom. Jessup followed behind, but Lucy Gray had to help and drag him in. Sol grabbed Jessup's leg, halfway in the door. Just as the pack had arrived.

"Here comes the pack. Surprising Hy and Sol!" Lucky commented. An ear-splitting scream echoed through the room and arena. Sol's lifeless body was dragged away from the opening. The buzzer rung, signaling another death. The pack discussed outside. That was until Coral walked away. The pack followed soon after.

"Do you think they're done?" the commentor asked quietly. "To the children watching, that was violent, horrific, and disgusting." Flickerman said into his mic. "Ms. Phipps," Lucky magically pulled out a handkerchief to wipe his forehead. "If you're going to vomit, please do it off camera."

The girl looked down ashamed or embarrassed. "Thirteen tributes remain." Lucky started listing the remaining kids. "If they keep it up with this pace. We're gonna be out of her in no time."

Time passed. People in the audience started leaving. Lucky started the weather forecast. Annie slumped in her chair. The girl was extremely upset and tired. She didn't know if Kazuo would be home later on. The thought of him being there made her dread to go home. "Lamina," Pup muttered next to her. She looked over at him to see his eyes glued to the screen. Annie looked up as well. The girl had emerged from her hiding spot. Slowly she made her way towards Marcus.

She grabbed a small axe before climbing up the beam. Lamina crouched on the beam. Her hands moved slowly to lift Marcus's head to the side. Making her see his face. Annie couldn't pick up on what he said, but his mouth moved. Lamina's fingers ran through his hair before grabbing her axe. She tilted his head to the side. Forcefully she slammed the axe to his neck. The buzzer went once again. And people turned away. Donations stormed in on Pup's screen.

Lamina cut the ropes. Making Marcus's dead body fall to the ground. Flickerman clapped his hands before continuing the weather forecast. Once he was done with that, he pulled out his mic. "Was it mercy, or was it murder?" he shrugged. "Anyways that's what happens when you do stuff!" he announced loudly as he started walking. The camera following him.

"You get attention. Citizens send you money. Now. Once they get your money. The mentor, can choose to send in food or water. Using our newly developed drones from the war." Lucky crouched next to Pup. "Reprogrammed with facial recognition. This assures that your package goes directly to your tribute."

"Isn't that right Pup Harrington?" he asked. Pup replied with a simple 'yeah'. Pup selected water, sending it to Lamina. The girl in the arena raised up at the drone approaching. Her hand reached out to grab it. But the drone came to fast. Lamina barely managed to duck in time. The water bottle smashed and the drone fell. "What," Pup whispered angry.

Annie woke up to the feeling of someone watching her. Her eyes opened to be met with Dr.Gaul's. The girl jumped up. "What happened to your face Ms. Lue?" the woman asked. Annie stared back confused. "Doesn't matter. You gotta put a leash on your deluded friend before he gets himself killed." Dr.Gaul said harshly. She moved away, giving Annie a sight of the screen. "Sejanus..." Annie muttered questioningly. "I need someone to get him out. Right now."

"You should send in a peacekeeper." Coriolanus spoke up from his seat. "Only to have them bolt and hide like a rabbit? Felix Ravinstill is fighting for his life in the hospital. I will not these rebels make a further mockery of my games. Anyone sees us lose control of this arena, might as well be a sign to the districts to evolt!" Dr. Gaul answered angrily.

"You two chose to be friends with this radical. You want him to end the games tonight?" she asked. "It'll look a lot worse if the tributes kill three of us." Coriolanus tried to reason. "So don't let them. Who knows? You get him out unscathed. I'll whisper your names in his father's ears. Since you want that plinth prize don't you?" Dr.Gaul moved towards Coriolanus who slumped further in his seat.

"I'll freeze the feed for an hour. I estimate that's all we have until people notice." Dr.Gaul backed away and looked at them both. The two students shared a look. Annie gulped and got out of her seat. A peacekeeper came and escorted the two to a car. They got in and sat in silence. That was until Coriolanus spoke up. "What happened to your face?" Annie stiffened and didn't answer. The foundation had probably faded away. "Why is your nose so bruised? Did you break it?" he questioned further.

"I don't think I broke it. Just bruised after I face planted on concrete." Annie made up an excuse laughing slightly. "How did you manage that?" he asked slightly smiling. "I was leaving the zoo last night. It was so dark, I couldn't see the rock in front of me." she shrugged. Coriolanus shook his head, laughing quietly. So did Annie, laughing at how he believed her.

 ୨୧          AUTHORS NOTE          ୨୧Thinking about rewriting the entire story once it's done

Thinking about rewriting the entire story once it's done. To fill some plot holes and stuff :^