「 𝟏𝟐 」Importance

chapter twelve; IMPORTANCE
22nd january 2024

chapter twelve; IMPORTANCE22nd january 2024

"Annie!" Darlene shouted. Annie turned around, falling into her arms. Her mood had changed rapidly fast. She was so happy seeing Treech, then something switched. She broke down. In pain and sadness. "Please. Why can't they both live?" Annie asked. "Who?" Darlene smoothed down Annie's hair.

"Treech and Lamina," she sobbed. Seeing them both in the arena, alive. It was weird. Weird that they both might die soon. Aden watched from the side. He wanted them both to live too. Lamina connected quickly with him during the interviews. And Treech seemed like a good guy. Darlene continued to comfort Annie while spacing out. Maybe there was a way she could give both the district seven kids a chance of going home together.

Aden went to bed pissed off. One of the peacekeepers had called his step-mom hot. In that moment, he was close to beating them up. Kazuo wasn't home. Nor did Aden knew where he was. Only Darlene did. Annie's muffled cries were heard from under the covers. The whole mentoring thing had messed her up. She had grew attached so quickly to both Treech and Lamina. She had considered them as friends, maybe Treech even more than a friend.

Darlene sat in her extremely big bed. Money was placed in front of her. She was counting them. Recently she had been using a lot of money on her step-kids. Even though they don't know it yet. She sighed, putting it all away and dragged the covers over her. The kids didn't know what happened to Kazuo. They didn't know that she made him get sent back to the districts. And she had no idea how to tell them.

Treech sat awake in the arena. He stared at his blue lucky charm. The one Annie had gifted him before Arachne's death. It had beautiful details and he wondered if she made it herself. Looking over at Mizzen, she could see he was wearing one as well. His was yellow. Treech leaned his head back. Sighing. He regretted not telling Annie what he felt. But maybe it was for the best.

If she knew, and he died, she would probably not handle it. Treech tried to fall asleep. But he couldn't. The fear of someone killing him in his sleep kept him awake. So instead he thought about Annie. The boy had no idea what happened to her face. The giant bruise. It seemed intense.

Mizzen moved slightly in his sleep. Treech watched as the young boy slowly cuddled into his side. Treech carefully put his hand on Mizzen's shoulder. Treech started thinking about his family. Mizzen was around the same age as his brother. Treech could now only think about his brother being in the games. He would easily had volunteered for him. Treech would rather have himself die than anyone else he cares for.

He really missed district seven. He never though it but he actually miss working in the woods. It was painful to look back at but also comforting. Treech wanted to go home. But at the same time, there were so many younger and others that deserved to live more than him. He wasn't so important to anyone really. That's what he feels.

 ୨୧          AUTHORS NOTE          ୨୧Soooo short, but better than nothing?And damn Annie got a lot of mood swings

Soooo short, but better than nothing?
And damn Annie got a lot of mood swings.