self-immolation

[the act of sacrificing oneself by setting oneself on fire]

I don't bother with a swimsuit to join Tohru at the water today, knowing it would be a waste of time if I'm not even going to gather the courage to go in. A short jean skirt, a halter top and a bolero to cover my arms. It would be a lie to say I haven't been influenced by Haru or Rin... individually, that is.

"I was excited to see Kuroi-kun in a swimsuit, but what's this?" Shigure annoyedly says, sitting on the steps with his fan. "I've never seen you dress like this but...This is so lame... at least Tohru-kun is here."

"Why'd you even bother to come, you dirty old man?" I demand.

"Oh... Kuroi is so scary. At least I have Tohru-kun, we can be alone... maybe we can finally go on a date?" He fans himself with pleasure at his own musings. I take the fan and whack him.

"Joking... just teasing," he says with a little fear, noticing the boys have returned with the groceries and watermelon for today's lunch.

We walk back to the house together, Momiji exclaiming joy at the news that Hiro's mom is pregnant. "I wonder if it will be a boy or a girl? It will be sad if it's a girl, since Hiro won't be able to hold her. But no more can be born with the spirit, so Hiro's mom can't be sad."

"All the spirits have been born, so there will be no more as long as we're alive," Haru adds. Unless theres some bullshit like my case.

"People normally have kids because they want them, huh?" Yuki adds. I can tell the subject saddens Tohru a little.

"Oh, but it was nothing for Hiro's mommy when he was born. She said "I Love goats!" She's a wonder of a mom!" Momiji says.

I walk alongside her, tipping my head with my newfound growth spurt. "Tohru-kun, I know you're curious, but my parents are seriously messed up. It would make you sad. Let's just say, I'm super happy to be surrounded by you guys now." I pump my fist to show her how strong I am. "So it doesn't make me sad!" What a horrible lie. "If you ask me later, I'll tell you about it."

We arrive at the house, and out lays a sheet and the watermelon. "In celebration of Hiro's mom being pregnant, let's have a watermelon splitting contest!"

We kind of go silent upon noticing Momiji didn't get a stick or blindfold to participate. Tht is broken up by Haru going for it with his bare hand and splattering me in the face with watermelon. He holds a piece stoically.  "Become an older brother who splits a watermelon."

"You make no sense," Hiro laments.

Tohru lifts her hand in excitement. "Let me try! Although I did it with a stick and blindfold last time, I had a lot of fun! Especially, Mo..." her voice falters. "M...My gumshoe."

"Gumshoe?"

"Was the gumshoe fun?" Momiji asks.

"Yes! Super fun!" She looks really dizzy though. I am getting worried. "Besides, in celebration of Hiro's baby--!"

"I told you, it's not my baby," Hiro cires.

"Hiya!" her fist comes down. Impact. Nothing. Nothing but tears dripping from her eyes, unsure of whether it's from pain or the inability to split it.

Kisa wants to join, so I join in, slamming my fist down to break one and intentionally splat Hatsuharu back in the face while sticking out my tongue at him. "Don't worry, here I am the representative of the girls division. The ace!."

"Quit getting so riled up, you too..." Kyo laments.

Soon after we've eaten the salvageable melon, Haru and Yuki are left to clean while the rest of us go back inside. Tohru is with the kids, Kyo off on his own, so I try to prep for dinner and not have them do so much work.