just looking

A/N: Nanami Yae!  If re reading, this was Megumi Mashima but since confusion with her name

A/N: Nanami Yae!  If re reading, this was Megumi Mashima but since confusion with her name., I rewrote this from my 2018 rewrite and replace 2021 changes.

My palm slides down my face in my dreadful second-hand embarrassment. "Kyo... you idiot...!"

"He turned into a cat!" she cried out, holding him in panic. "We have to take him to the hospital!"

A loose board hits her forehead, dizzying her off balance.

There are two more cloudy poofs when Yuki and Shigure attempt to catch her, resulting in their own transformations into the rat and dog respectively.

"T-Tohru-kun, wait a moment—!"

She's now running around the house in her frantic response with three animals in her hand. I run after her to witness the front door open to the mailman. "They're all animals!"

"Why yes," a light chuckle is cut short by me grabbing the mail out of his hand.

"Thank you!" I gesture my twirling finger to show that she's crazy before shutting the door.

I turn back around to watch her daze. "Th-they can talk..." she thinks out loud, clearly close to having a mental breakdown if something doesn't get explained soon. And what other explanation is there besides the truth?

Shigure has to muster it after a sigh. "As you can see, we are cursed by the chinese zodiac. I the dog, Yuki the rat, and Kyo the cat."

"Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Pig. Like the twelve zodiac. Since several hundred years ago,  The Sohma family members have been possessed by the same zodiac. We can communicate with other animals. For some reason, our bodies are weak and when embraced by the other gender, we will transform. After a while, we will change back into our human form," Shigure says. "... But completely naked."

Jinx. I'm saved. I turn my head the moment they transform back, shielding my eyes embarrassedly.

Tohru isn't so lucky, screaming and turning her head, hitting the wall.

"We let you see something you shouldn't have. Are you calm now?" Shigure asks.

"I almost understand this..." Tohru says. "You're also their family, are you part of this, Kuroi?"

Ah, god. I had hoped I never would have had to lie to Tohru. "Me? Er, no. My older brother is the rooster..." but at the mention of him coming out, my expression turns sour. I thought I'd escaped this damn family, now they've dragged Tohru into their business and if I were to lose her I don't know what I'd do with myself.

"Older brother?! You never told me you have a..."

"We aren't on good terms," I blurt immediately. The things I've done for that bastard of a brother contribute to this, I don't want to acknowledge him.