twenty-one

/Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. 
- Lao Tzu/

 There's something about fishing that gives you contentment. The moment when you pray that you cast in a lucky spot, the moment when you wait for something to happen. It's peaceful, and I sit with Gage at our usual spot. It's mid-spring now, and the woods have turned into a haven of freshness and green.

"You've gotten good at this," he smiles as I stand up to reel in the rod, ready to cast again.

I return to sit beside him and I smile back. He's been growing his hair since the winter, and now it's long enough for him to push the sides back behind his ears.

"Your hair looks nice."

"Your face looks nice too." I lean on his shoulder.

"I like fishing with you."

"I like fishing with you too."

"Alright."

"Alright."

"Yes."

"We're not going to do this," he chuckles. "Why are we being so awkward?"

"I don't know," I lie. But the air suddenly turns heavy with unspoken words, because we both wish to say it.

"I don't know either."

"You're lying."

"So are you."

Silence. Stillness. Then, I feel a tug – I've caught a fish. I begin to reel it, adjusting my speed according to the strength of the fish. It's a big one.

"Help me!" I stand up as it begins to become a struggle. "It feels massive!"

Gage stands up and we're doing this together, until the fish finally appears before my eyes.

"Great catch! It's a catfish. I'm impressed. To free it or to feast on it?"

"Let it go, Gage." He chortles and throws the monster back in the ocean, which after a boisterous splash or two, swims off. We head back to the cottage, having a long and silent walk back. When we finally see it, we know we're nearly there. It's hidden in a little corner by dozens of trees, and there's a small pathway that leads to the entrance. I can hear laughing and voices.

"Am I the only one hearing voices?" I ask, confused.

"I think I know who it is!" Gage cheers, and as he increases his pace, a giddy smile forms on his face. We finally get close enough to see three people sitting on the porch: Doreen and a woman and a young boy.

"Gageeeeeeyyyyy!" The little boy, upon seeing Gage, stands up and sprints into the open arms of Gage, who lifts him up and carries him for the remainder of the distance.

"Phillip! I've missed you so much. Say 'I've missed you too'," he smiles, planting kisses and blowing raspberries on his cousin's cheek.

"I've missed you too!" His childish voice echoes, and I can't help but smile.

"Now be nice and say hi to my friend! Her name's April."

"Hello, April." Phillip turns to me, with a big smile, showing off a big gap in his front teeth.

"You've removed another one!" Gage exclaims. "You're growing so big now. I can't believe I didn't get to see you last winter!"

By now, we're on the steps of the cottage where we exchange greetings. Phillip's Mum, or Gage's Aunt, is called Grace. She's young and has pretty gold locks flowing down her back.