prologue

love

ləv/

noun

an intense feeling of deep affection.

verb

feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone).

It was all around me. Everywhere I looked. It was a bit like a little, warm yellow light, gliding along, into the hearts that shared it. It was contagious too, but there wasn't need of medicine for it because, well, it was medicine itself.

But like I'd said, it was all around me. In the little kids swaying back and forth on their swing sets, trusting their seemingly gigantic parents to thrust them forward and catch them when they fell back. It was in the stressed-out mothers who wiped the baby cereal off their child's soft lips, or even in those daddies who had to wipe crap off their baby's bum. It was in the star-crossed lovers who held hands on the park bench, kissing and kissing, or the old couple who always watched the fountain quietly at 5:15 in the afternoon.

It was even in school. The warm yellow light would sometimes manifest itself, literally, to be in the joints that my friends smoked. Or the teenagers that had dated for years, kissing and cuddling until we all got bored of them.

It was also on the TV that I watched and in the music that I listened to. Whether I was watching my favourite scene from The Notebook over and over, or listening to Adele belt her (broken) heart out, it was there.

Even in the Disney classics that I knew like the back of my hand, such as Pocahontas to John Smith, or even in Dreamwork Animations: Shrek when he looked at Princess Fiona.

It was like a gift. A tiny little packaged gift you'd find under your Christmas tree, yet if you opened it, it would explode into a million little stars and fall on everyone and everything. Like confetti or shimmering fireworks. Like dust, like flour, like air molecules.

And thing was, this warm, yellow light I spoke of was love. And it continued gliding around, making everyone sick with it, then healing them. But, there must have been a blood mark on my forehead or something, because it passed by me. Not once did I feel it.

And when there isn't a warm yellow light in you, there's a dark cloud that chokes your heart instead.

Loneliness.

And that described exactly what I felt.