PROLOGUE - "RESTLESS"

A small rainbow slime pup was growing restless within his small living space. He knocked over chairs and put them back up, he shredded files and papers, he chewed sticks, but he couldn't find anything fun to do as the scientists wrote and murmured in their odd squeaky language.
He ran over to the door labelled with his name and prodded it, to no avail. He curled up on the floor and whined. The scientists murmured.

He placed a single gooey paw on the door, watching the rainbow goo ooze down until it trickled onto the floor.
It was painfully quiet, and painfully boring, here at Laminax today. Why couldn't anyone escape or why couldn't the Gootraxians be able to play with each other? What was the danger in a little fun?
A little slime pup wasn't able to comprehend all of this.
The sound of pencils to paper echoed through the endless corridors as he stared down at the floor, letting rainbow goo get on the wall and floor. The scientists would clean it up anyways, they always did.
The scientists hadn't changed anything up in awhile. No new foods, toys, experiments... It was getting boring.
He had a new cell-mate, though!
Each cell had a window connecting to another cell containing a Gootraxian of a different breed, so the scientists could see if they could communicate.
The two Gootraxians could only talk and look at eachother, not touch or play or snuggle.
His cell-mate wasn't exactly active either.

"Psst... Little.. Thing, here, come here," whispered a quiet and brash voice.
He perked up, wagging his tail and panting.
"Window, here, come."
He went over to the window and placed both of his front paws on the thick glass, peering into his cell-mate's living space. "You seem bored. Do not worry, it will all be better soon."
There was a dark grey Gootraxian sitting in the corner at a desk, looking through files and papers and ripping them up, growling.
"It'll all be better soon," repeated the Gootraxian, chuckling. Their chuckle echoed like the dripping of water in a cavernous grotto, unnerving but interesting.
Their three purple eyes glowed, casting an ominous light through the chambers.
"...Soon."