CHAPTER 1 - "INVITATION"

Caspian, a transgender teenager, had been sitting on the homey red couch in her small but familiar apartment.
She had been scrolling through different job ideas for awhile, ignoring her mom's angry texts and her dad's worried texts as she ate her breakfast: poorly made scrambled eggs.
She couldn't afford good food, or cooking lessons, so there she sat, eating her runny and bitter eggs in solitude.
The morning light filtered through the cheap curtains as she yawned and stretched her long arms, figuring it was time to get up and check the mail.
Not like there's gonna be anything there, but it's worth a shot, eh?
She sighed and stood up, walking over to the mailbox outside of her apartment. Her worn black shoes scraped against the uneven carpet as she dragged herself away from her couch and eggs.
She poured a pile of unorganised papers into her arms before throwing them onto her coffee table and sitting back down with a heavy sigh.
She sighed and sifted through the papers, eyes slightly closed and mind wandering.
She didn't expect anything new or interesting.
Maybe money from her dad or death threats from her mom, but what she surely didn't expect was...
A letter, a letter that offered her a new job.

Dear Caspian, we hope this letter finds you well.
Us, at Laminax Laboratories would like to offer you a job as a caretaker and observer of our secret new project.
You'll love them, as we have observed you love cute fluffy and harmless animals, like cats and foxes.
We have attached a uniform, keycard, a location, and some papers to fill out before you can start your job.
Fill out these papers and have them here at Laminax anytime from now to Thursday.
Sincerely, CEO Sayaka F. Collins.

Caspian thought she was hallucinating, or going crazy, or heck.. Maybe both!
She rubbed her eyes with her grey coat sleeve before standing up and looking at the attached materials.
The white lab coat with grey khaki pants didn't look like the most comfortable thing, it wasn't more comfortable than her pjs, but it would work out.
She rushed to her bedroom to read over the papers.
"Signing this... Not responsible.. Death... Secret... Okay, this is fine!"
She grabbed the small black elastic that was stationed on her doorknob, putting her warm caramel colored hair into a messy ponytail.
She pulled her clothes off, staring down at her body with a frown before pulling the new uniform on and rushing out the door. The air outside was scorching compared to the cool and comfortable air that filled her apartment, it made her feel clammy, but that didn't stop her.
She finally had a job, and she wasn't going to let anything stop her from keeping that job.
Not one single thing.