CHAPTER 3 - "BESTIARY"

Caspian walked over to the door and held it open for Jasper to follow her.
"Nope. You go alone, I'm going back to the cafeteria."
He turned heel and walked away, placing his hands in his pockets and humming.
She shrugged, not mentioning her disappointment.
She entered the next room and walked over to the cabinets, grabbing a small phone-like thing.
She tapped the screen, unsure how to turn it on.
Bright white words appeared on the screen.
"welcome to the BESTIARY"
before fading away and into a new screen.
She was shown a list of pictures labelled with different names of unfamiliar creatures- or Gootraxians as Jasper and the Bestiary called them.
She scrolled through them, glancing at each, looking for a favourite. Maybe if she had a favourite she would know where to start in her 'observing and caretaking' job.
She stopped when she saw a creature labelled as "Witchbrew" a bat like Gootraxian with dark brown fur and colourful patterns that caught Caspian's eyes. It also had tiny bat wings, which she thought were the cutest.
She clicked on the image of the bat like Gootraxian, eager to know more.

A Gootraxian with bat-like attributes, Witchbrews have been observed to be wreaking havoc across the LAMINAX facilities. Their playful and mischievous behavior prompts them to socialize with other gootraxians, despite their widely shunned presence.
The Witchbrew was created entirely on accident! A developing gootraxian had contaminated an ordinary can of Witchbrew soda, mutating the sugary drink with unusual and undocumented properties; one of which being transforming the victim into the Witchbrew gootraxian.
For future reference, do not drink any peculiar looking soda from vending machines.

She nodded and pressed a button on the side of the Bestiary to turn it off.
She continued through the winding corridors in search of a Witchbrew, or anything close to one. These halls were more lively than the others. Caspian could look through the thick glass panels on each enclosure to observe the Gootraxians. She found this amusing and cute.
Finally, a job! And I love it already.
She stopped in front of one enclosure, grabbing a fold-up chair and taking a seat in front of the window.
This enclosure was shared by a Witchbrew and a Gootraxian that she assumed was a Slime Pup of the ghost variant.

A small, dog sized creature that is translucent, with a skull like mask on the front. They can vary in colors. These creatures are the first of the neutral species that have been created, and have been noted to follow humans and infected around, expecting food and pets. They're often childlike, but on rare occasions the aggressive biters are seen to grow in size, and eventually form into a Slime Hound.
Slime Pups are often extremely curious, but lazy. They sleep around a lot, and will even sleep on your back if you let them. If one is bothering you, just give it a treat or something.
But do not give them lemons, please.

Each door was labelled with a name, probably the name of the inhabitant

Each door was labelled with a name, probably the name of the inhabitant. The Witchbrew's door was labelled
"Name: Chuki • Sex: Female"
The Ghost Slime Pup's door was labelled
"Name: Yule • Sex: Unknown"
Caspian brought her chair closer to the window to get a closer look at the two Gootraxians.

Chuki was sharpening her chartreuse claws with a small twig that she had allegedly snapped off of the mini tree in her cell. Her eyes were fixed on what she was doing, she didn't even notice Caspian.
Yule was cowering in the corner of their cell, hiding their face in the corner of the room with their paws.
They seemed frightened.
I'm a caretaker, I guess. So I guess I gotta help this puppy.
Maybe it dislikes the light? The Bestiary claims that Ghost Slime Pups prefer the dark.
She nodded and turned off her Bestiary again, standing up and approaching Yule's door.
Chuki, noticing this, jumped up and started rambling in an incomprehensible language to Yule, pointing from them to the door to Caspian. Yule had turned around and was staring at Chuki.
Caspian grabbed her keycard and slid it across the handle, waiting for the beeping sound that came when a Laminax door was unlocked by an employee.
The door creaked open and Caspian reached in, sifting her hand over the nearest wall in search of a light switch.
Chuki began to yell at Yule.

When Caspian had finally found the light switch and began to close the door, Yule ran straight at her.
The Slime Pup didn't even notice that the lights were off as they aimed for the small gap in between the door and the wall, seeking freedom.
Just as they got close, Caspian slammed the door shut and Yule rammed into it. The Ghost pup whimpered and turned around, seemingly sad.
But they noticed the lights were off.
Their gooey fur began to glow brighter and they began to levitate off of the ground, their gooey paws not even grazing the tiled floor.
Caspian watched in amazement as the Slime Pup moved with ease through the air, floating around and leaving glowing droplets of glowing white goo in the air that resembled stars in their dark cell.

Caspian grabbed a pen that was on a nearby table and began to write on one of the 'Behavior Report Papers'

Name: Yule • Species: Ghost Slugpup
Behavior report:
Was cowering and covering eyes in the light. Was also seen floating around and glowing brighter in the dark.
Name: Chuki • Species: Witchbrew
Behavior report:
Was seen directing other Gootraxians on how to escape cell. Was heard yelling angrily when plans weren't followed

YULE POV
The small slime pup was floating around.
It was one of the few things they could do at the moment.
Because as a Gootraxian in Laminax, you had to find something to do yourself, or go mad like the others.
Yule moved through the air like an eel in the water, slinking around quickly.
Chuki was glaring at them.
"WHY DIDN'T YOU GO? YOU HAD A CHANCE!"
She roared.
"S-sorry, I just didn't make it in time..." they said quietly. Their voice COULD be loud, but they just didn't want to be. They preferred being quiet. The scientists preferred the quiet and obedient ones, and Yule wanted to be liked.
"EXCUSES! NEIN! You shouldn't have hesitated, Yule,"
Chuki said finally, leaning back in her chair and holding her paw up to the flickering fluorescent light in her cell, turning her paw around to inspect her razor sharp claws.
"S-sorry.." They murmured, turning around and floating up to the top of their cell and curling up.
They placed their long tail in front of their face so they didn't have to see Chuki glaring at them.
Small goo particles floated off of their gooey fur as they floated there. Just as they were about to drift off to sleep and let their tiredness consume them, the loudspeakers blared something in the scientist's squeaky language.

"ALL OBSERVERS AND CARETAKERS PLEASE REPORT TO THE GOOTRAXIAN CONTAINMENT ROOMS FOR SLIME PUP SOCIALIZATION TIME. I REPEAT, ALL OBSERVERS AND CARETAKERS PLEASE REPORT TO THE GOOTRAXIAN CONTAINMENT ROOMS FOR SLIME PUP SOCIALIZATION TIME. THANK YOU."