Real People?

June 19th, 2010...

Legs crossed, Mephone tilted his head, rubbing his hands on the fluffy rug again. Tasks have been so boring, lately. All the same, some the same as last time but with only the smallest twist.
It kind of sucked.
But, what was he supposed to do? Mr. Cobs had given warnings, told him if he didn't do the tasks, it'd end up not so good. But why? Why were they so important? What did rearranging a few blocks accomplish?
Mephone couldn't really understand it. Maybe he'd learn another day.

He was already basically told-without-being-told that asking questions like that was a no-go, for some weird reason. Mr. Cobs sure was very mysterious. Mephone often wondered what was the purpose of things. Cobs had called him 'curious.'
That wasn't wrong, he was curious. But the way Cobs would say it was always a little strange, like he actually meant something else. Like he didn't like it.
Which, made no sense. Because what was so wrong about wanting to know answers? Wanting to know what was going on.
Since Mephone first woke up, he learned about 'people.' Humans, they're called.
When he first woke up it actually took him a second to open his eyes. It felt like a lot of stuff was unloaded into his head all at once.

Task,
Adapt,
Kindness,
Earth,
World,
Helping,
Ability,
Trust,
Success,
Meeple,
Intelligence,
Negotiate,
Empathy,

So many words, definitions, opinions, thoughts that formed all at once.
He knew about humans. He looked like one. Cobs had mentioned Mephone would work to make the world a better place for them. Or something. He didn't know what that meant, but Cobs said he was very important. That made him feel happy.
But one thing Mephone had to do all the time here was learn.
He was always learning, with everything he did.
He learned about the planet 'Earth' Cobs said they were on. How he said they'd go 'beyond it,' and keep learning.
He learned about jobs. How all the other people worked here and did important stuff, and then they'd get paid with money. Cobs said money is very crucial to a human's life.
Cobs looks like he has a lot of it. But he still wants more. Why?
Mephone also learned that there was more on the planet.
He wasn't supposed to learn that. But he learned it. He could see the photos of all the places on the desks of the humans. Photos of little people, or weird creatures. 'Dogs' or something.
Mephone thought they were cute.

One night, Mephone had managed to convince Cobs to let him finish a few tasks past the designated sleep mode time.
He didn't actually finish the tasks that night. But he figured out if that's what he told Cobs, he'd get permission to roam.
He found the star ladies worker desk. She had a small box that had a disc inside. The box had a picture of a girl with curly blonde hair. Apparently it was music. It was dark, he couldn't read properly.
She also had pens, and a lot of stickers. A cherry red watch was left there, too.
Mephone enjoyed exploring.
It was a shame Cobs didn't really let him explore much. He said staring and touching was rude. No talking to the humans, either. Not without permission.

It kind of sucked. But he had to listen to Cobs.
Why?
Cobs was a good man. Cobs was 'intelligent,' and powerful.
How did he know that was true?
Cobs had said so himself, afterall.

A clicking noise of the door made Mephone whip his head around, and take his hands away from the rug, placing them on the cold floorboards.

Mr. Cobs stood tall in the doorway, holding a lot of papers and a small duffel bag.
"Ah, of course you're in here Four! Quick, get up and come along, we have important things to get to right away!" He demanded through lost breaths, tucking the papers under his arm and stretching out a hand for Mephone to grab.
This was confusing, what work? Mephone hadn't heard anything about that.
However, no questions were asked by the small robot who had already stood and jumped to take the man's hand.