7: Maybe This Isn't What I Want Anymore

Has anyone caught the pattern from chapter to chapter yet?

First to find it gets a shoutout and opportunity to write a one shot for my book submitted via email!

Enjoy the chapter!

Ricky
I sat in Ashlyn's house, on a bar stool in the kitchen. I didn't know where else to be.

I obviously couldn't talk to Nini, and my best friend was currently starting World War III in the middle of Ashlyn's living room.

Big Red and Kourtney were by the probably very expensive piano, fighting. It was probably about Nini and I, and Kourtney saying how horrible it was that I auditioned.

"Oh, hey."

"Hey." I replied quickly, looking up at Gina.

"I was just gonna grab some...root beer." She said awkwardly, then opening the fridge.

"Be my guest."

She smiles forcefully.

"Mind if I sit?" She eventually asks.

"Not at all." I signal toward the seat beside me, allowing her to plant herself down beside me.

"So congrats again." She said.

"Yeah, you too."

"Nah."

"What do you mean?" My eyebrows furrowed.

"My mom won't excacrly be pleased."

"You got Taylor! That's great, Gina."

"Not for her." She looked down frowning.

Then suddenly I realized.

Yeah, Nini's talented. But so is Gina! I never thought she wasn't, but I still named Nini better than her.

That's what's horrible. Not Gina.

"Oh, God." I said, pulling myself off my stool, and rushing to the porch.

"Ricky?" Gina asked, standing slowly. She looked confused and freaked out, to say the least.

Soon I was followed outside. I sat on the porch swing, my head in my hands. Though I couldn't see her, I had an idea who this mystery 'person' was.

"Ricky, what's wrong?" Gina's voice softened.

"Nothing." I said, pulling my head out of my hands.

"Ricky, you're crying." Her voice cracked, her thumb moving over my cheeks.

"I'm a horrible person."

"No you're not. What are you even taking about?"

"I was mean to you. Not upfront, I thought you were cool, I still do. But I had some disgusting thoughts about you."

"That's okay." She chuckled. "We can't help it. And if they were thoughts, at least I know you aren't the one spreading rumors about me."

"Never."

"Ricky, it's so clear that you love Nini. And now that your plan has gone the way you hoped, her as Gabriella, you're bound to think some things that may not take others into account."

"How are you so wise? You're not offended."

"No. I understand. And this isn't my first rodeo."

"Hm."

"I can tell, Ricky, you really love her."

"I really like you. And I don't know...if this is what I want anymore."

"What do you mean?" She pulled her hand off my shoulder, crossing her arms.

"Gina, will you go on a date with me?"

475 words