Chapter 1: The (Cryptic) Call of Destiny

The day Merlin discovered my magic, he led me deep beneath Castle Caer Leon into a vast chamber where Uther Pendragon had enslaved the Great Dragon. The cool cavern air chilled me to the bone. Moisture seeped from the rock, pooling in the uneven dips of the steps and the cracks of the stone that formed a ledge at the mouth of the cave. Beyond the edge it was difficult to see. The ground simply disappeared, turning to blackness despite the flickering light of the torch in Merlin's hand. A hundred meters away, a shard of rock jutted up like the peak of a mountain. It was there that the Great Dragon sat.

"Take heart, young one," he told me. The hairs along my arm and on the back of my neck stood on end at the sound of his voice. It was like the rasp of steel of steel. I found it deeply unsettling. "A day will come when sorcerers no longer have to hide who they are."

After a moment, I found my voice.

"Merlin said you told him his destiny. Do you know mine?" I asked. My voice was quiet, but it carried through the cavern.

The Great Dragon thought for a moment before speaking again.

"The time of your destiny is not yet upon us, Cambria Kelemon. When the right time comes, you will come to understand your powers and your purpose as harbinger."

I committed those words to memory, even though I had no idea what they meant.

Suddenly, the Great Dragon beat its wings, sending the damp cavern air swirling. He flew away, disappearing into the darkness of the chamber.

"I'm sorry. I thought he would be of more help," Merlin mumbled, his arm holding the torch drooping slightly.

Merlin was an awkward boy. He was known around the castle as Prince Arthur's bumbling and clumsy servant. My brother and the other knights liked to poke fun at him in the halls and when Merlin accompanied them on trips. And when he wasn't busy at Arthur's side, he was working for Gaius, the Court Physician, running errands throughout the castle. Really, I only knew of him through stories and a few brief interactions.

When he told me about the future the Great Dragon described for him, a greater picture of Merlin formed in my mind. Prince Arthur's life was in his hands, for together they would unite the land of Albion, a place where magic would be welcome.

"Magic is a dangerous gift to possess," Merlin said as we climbed the steps out of the cavern. "Not many people are natural reservoirs of magic. Most learn to manipulate the environment around them with spells and other teachings. The best thing you can do is learn to control yourself and keep your power in check. Unless you are eager to learn more. I am not a great teacher, but..."

"I appreciate the offer, I truly do, however...I live a life adjacent to the royal court. I'm terrified every time I step into a room with the King, worried that he could discern my secret with just a look," I confessed. "I fear burning at the stake, Merlin. I fear that my family would be stripped of their titles and forced to return to my grandfather's court."