Chapter 18: The Return of the King

"It's happening!"

Batgirl's shout startled me out of my daze. I went from lying flat on my back in my bed to springing for the door of my room. It flew open and I collided with Batgirl, who was in a state of disarray. Her cape and cowl were in place, her hair half pulled through the opening in the back. She wore the shirt of her uniform with the bat symbol and a pair of fuzzy pajama bottoms patterned with sledding penguins. Her utility belt was slung over her shoulders and her boots and uniform trousers were in her hand.

"What? Where?" I demanded.

We had been waiting on edge for nearly three days now. All of my nerves had settled in my stomach and I couldn't keep any food down. I could hardly take the stress anymore.

"Huge spike in Paris and my news alerts are going crazy. There's a city-wide blackout!"

If my heart wasn't beating fast enough already, it hammered even harder. Pitch black city.

"How fast can the bioship get across the Atlantic?" I asked, turning back into my room where I started grabbing clothes at random.

"Two hours, maybe less if we push her," Batgirl said as I pulled off my pajama bottoms and started pulling on a pair of black athletic trousers while I fumbled to my phone to call Jason.

"Call everyone in," I said. "I'm phoning Jason."

He answered on the first ring.

"Paris is blacked out," I said without preamble. Granted, I was a little distracted. I nearly toppled over as I tried to shimmy into my trousers. "Batgirl is assembling the Team."

"Have them fly to Paris in the bioship, but they'll likely have to re-rout. Call Merlin, tell him to get ready to portal us over."

Right in the doorway, Batgirl started to change her trousers.

"Where are we going?" I asked, stepping into one boot while rummaging for a shirt.