Chapter 11: Whatever's Coming, it's not Good

While Nightwing and Zatanna moved Merlin upstairs to the lounge and got the tea kettle going, I surveyed the Vault in the sub-level of the house. It was under a newer section of the building, set in its own stone room next to the extensive wine cellar and sectioned off by a sturdy wooden door carved with runes and spells. Inside the door was a wall of metal bars, also etched with intricate spellwork.

Morgaine had managed to knock down both doors, accessing the Vault beyond. It wasn't anything special. Just several sets of shelves lined with enchanted metal boxes, each housing an item. Several boxes had been broken into, which was no small feat. The spellwork involved was intense and complicated beyond belief.

Unfortunately, I didn't know Merlin's vault well enough to determine what was missing. Morgaine had taken all the documentation Merlin kept about each item as well, leaving empty boxes.

Frustrated, I returned to the main level of the house and pushed open the door to the lounge, which occupied the Elizabethan portion of the house. On one of the leather couches Merlin had been laid out, a pillow tucked under his head, which sported a huge gash crusted with clotted, dry blood. Jason crouched at his side.

"Are you alright?" Jason asked me, his voice low and slightly froggy.

"I'm pissed off," I said honestly. "There are several artefacts missing from the Vault, the library has been ransacked, and I have a sinking suspicion that Morgaine took Clarent, which does not bode well."

The news troubled Jason, who stood up. He looked exhausted, but he was back to his usual self.

"How is Merlin?"

"Alive. He's obviously been in this state for a while, probably a day, maybe two. But he's a fighter. He'll pull through. It will probably take some time for his body to heal, though," Jason concluded.

"I'll stay. You guys can head back to Happy Harbor."

Jason started to protest, but I held up my hand.

"You have classes tomorrow. All of you. Morgaine made her point and got what she wanted. I doubt she'll come back anytime soon," I reasoned.

"We'll take Merlin with us," Nightwing suggested.