Chapter 10: I Meet Etrigan

I broke into a run. The cracked asphalt turned to gravel as I crossed onto Merlin's property. Where the wards should have enveloped me and welcomed me back, there was something else. A sour feeling settled over me as I continued to run, sending gravel spraying with each footfall.

Merlin's drive gently wove through the forest. It was practically pitch black in every direction. Without the wards, I realized that my magic was accessible. I called upon the light and an orb formed. It was controlled this time. Not white hot, but dim, shedding just enough to illuminate the way. The ball of light levitated in front of me, rising enough to stay just above my head.

The others followed, slowly gaining on me. It made me wish I had spent more time training. The sword training helped strengthen my muscles, but I lacked this type of endurance. A stitch formed in my side, but I pushed through, knowing we were almost there.

The trees gave way suddenly at a bend in the road. Before us stood Merlin's house.

It was a strange building. Like many long-lasting ancient structures, it had been built in stages. The varying styles of architecture were obvious. The curve of windows along the front right wall was distinctly Elizabethan. Opposite, the pointed windows and stained glass windows were French gothic. A tower soared above the center of the house, where I had spent several centuries sleeping.

Morgaine le Fay's presence was stronger here. My senses felt dulled. In fact, the light orb blinked out, leaving us in utter darkness. Not one of the house lights were on, which was unusual.

As I studied the house closer, I realized other little details amiss. There were no curls of smoke from the various chimneys. The left side of the front door was open, the door hanging at an angle from the top hinge. Every single window pane had exploded outward. Glass was caught in the landscaping, scattered among the gravel, hidden between blades of grass.

"Is she still here?" Nightwing asked, his voice barely a whisper.

"Yes, I believe she is," Jason answered, his voice equally low.

"Merlin indicated that she has been underground for near two hundred years! What is she doing here?" I demanded. Nightwing's hand curled around my forearm as a warning to keep my voice down.

"She's been licking her wounds. Merlin and I encountered her in France and did quite the number on her. There has been little sign of her since. She's been biding her time."

"What do we do?" Zatanna asked. "My magic is nothing against her and Cambria is untrained."

"She could have Merlin in there. We can't risk walking away," Jason said. "I can...Etrigan can engage with her, but not for long and not unless it's completely necessary."