Chapter 19: Camlann

We left the road that cut between the walls of the pass, skirting the cliff face until we were a safe distance from the mouth of the pass. Here we could talk without our voices carrying off the stone. Arthur seemed to notice the pegasus for the first time, but he didn't say anything.

He had strapped Excalibur to his waist and pulled off his leather gloves for a moment. Then he crouched on the ground and started using stones to create a rough approximation of Camlann. Two lines of stones formed the stone walls of the pass, which started narrow, then widened before narrowing once more. He took two twigs and placed them at one opening, crossing them to form an X.

"This is us," Arthur said, pointing at the X. "Last time, Morgaine brought her army down through the pass. There's a little offshoot about here where she held command. And that's where she dispatched Mordred from. We were within sight of the entrance when we crossed blades."

"What happened to his body?" I asked, turning to Merlin, Leon, and Jason.

"We left the bodies," Leon said. "We were too focused on our own dead. Mordred's remains would have been scavenged by wildlife."

"Gross," I muttered.

Leon looked like he was about to say something when there was a noticeable drop in pressure and air temperature. A huge gust of wind shot out of the passageway, carrying a strong smell of smoke and something natural, like freshly dug earth.

Merlin and I exchanged a look. We both felt the oppressive power that bore down. Morgaine was here.

"Well, whatever she's up to, the next phase of her plan is starting," Jason said helpfully.

"Can we afford to wait a little longer for the Team?" I asked.

"I think we have to," Jason decided. "But we can't just sit here. We need intel. And we need to watch our flank."

Jason, who had crouched down to study Arthur's diagram, stood up.

"I'll go up the path at our flank and take a look around," Jason said. "I doubt she'll play this the exact same way, but we best be alert. Should I try to get on the ridge and look down to see what's going on?"