Chapter 15: The Sign from the North

With Batgirl's help, we had plenty of data to search through about Paris. Merlin helped develop her magic detecting model further, improving its accuracy. When applied to data from Paris over the past ten years, we had an overwhelming amount of data to process. Granted, not every powerful spell cast in Paris was Morgaine's doing, but it gave us dates to crosscheck through media.

Jason helped for as long as he could, but he had to keep on top of his work and needed rest. He promised to make some call to contacts when he had time. Merlin stuck around the Cave until well into the next morning before leaving to meet up with some informants. Without the others around, I was so caught up in research that I didn't realize how much time had passed.

Genuinely concerned for my wellbeing, Batgirl found me in the library and forced the lid of my laptop shut.

"Girl, it's nine thirty pm. You've got to give it a rest. Go eat something. Hydrate. Step outside for a minute. Then go get some sleep. This will all be here in the morning."

She was right. As I pushed back my chair, I realized how stiff my legs were. I couldn't remember the last time I had taken a break or even stood up.

"I'll go for a walk and scrounge some dinner," I said, standing.

"And then sleep," Batgirl repeated.

"Dont worry about that."

That made Batgirl worry more.

"No, seriously, I don't—I can't sleep. Not since waking up."

Batgirl wore a stunned expression.

"What?"

I explained what I had told Jason, back when we were first reunited.

"Nightwing and I suspeced you had insomnia, but not this...I'm so sorry, Cambria. That's a lot of time to yourself. It must be tough."

I shrugged, not wanting to get into it.