Chapter 5: I Befriend an Amazon

M'gann found me in the library in the morning. I had finished my first book and was several chapters into a new book when she poked her head in and breathed a huge sigh of relief.

"There you are!" she cried, rushing inside.

Her complexion had turned from green to Caucasian and she had a backpack slung over her shoulders. I realized she was getting ready to leave for school.

"Sorry, didn't realize you were looking for me," I said, marking my spot with my finger and closing the book.

"What are you doing up so early?" she asked.

"The time change compared to Wales has thrown me through a loop."

M'gann accepted that answer without any protest.

"Well, I just wanted to check in before school. Zatanna has to commute in to her school in New York City and already left. Connor--sorry, Superboy--and I are heading into Happy Harbor. Aqualad, Aquagirl, and Tempest were all called to a training exercise with Aquaman, but Troia is around," M'gann rattled off in one hard to follow breath. "We've got training this afternoon that you're welcome to observe or join if you want."

"Thank you, M'gann."

"No problem. See you after school!"

"Have a great day," I called as she zipped into the hallway and disappeared.

I read a bit further and once I found a good stopping spot, I stood up and cracked my back. I found Troia in the kitchen seated at the breakfast bar. She was wearing her white dress and sipping a mug of tea.

"Good morning," she said. "There's hot water."

She pointed to the kettle on the stove and directed me to the mugs and tea. When I had my own mug of tea brewing, I leaned against the island counter and casually folded my arms.

"You have an old soul," Troia commented.

I wasn't sure how to respond and I knew better than to deny it. Out of everyone here at the Cave, I had a feeling Troia and I would get along best.

"People say I have an old soul," Troia continued. "I suppose I do. Or perhaps people simply do not understand my culture."

"You introduced yourself as a princess," I recalled.

"Yes. My mother is queen of the Amazons. Are you familiar with my people?"

In truth, the new book I had picked up was about Greek mythology. Merlin had quiet the collection of books on Greek mythology, culture, and architecture, so I had a little background. I told Troia as much.

"The world of men is so different from my home. Our island is isolated. Time passes differently there. I was born eighty years ago, but I look as though I am a teenager. I only left home a couple of months ago and though I have learned much, I still have much to learn."

"I'm experiencing a bit of culture shock myself," I admitted. "I fell into my magical sleep long before you were born. Being here, experiencing the modern world...I find it difficult to comprehend. There are good changes, but there are some consistencies that surprise me--and not necessarily in a good way."

Troia seemed to open up after realizing how much we had in common.

"Tell me about the Amazons," I said.

I listened as Troia talked about Themyscira and the Greek gods. She painted a picture of a simple, fulfilling life dedicated to appreciating the world the gods created and training to harden skill and strength.

"What brought you to the world men?" I asked.

"Do you have siblings?" Troia countered.

I nodded. "An older brother."