14

As Aelora stepped into the dimly lit chamber, her eyes took a moment to adjust to the flickering candlelight dancing off the stone walls. The room was modest, with a large canopy bed dominating one corner and a small table set with refreshments near the window. It was clear that this was only a temporary abode, a resting place before her life would change forever with her marriage to Cregan Stark.

Before she could take in more of her surroundings, two maids entered the room with a soft rustle of skirts, their presence bringing a sense of purpose to the space. They curtsied gracefully, their movements fluid and practiced as they approached Aelora with gentle smiles.

"Good evening, my lady," one of the maids spoke, her voice as gentle as a breeze on a summer's eve. "We are here to attend to your needs and ensure your comfort during your stay."

Aelora returned their smiles with a nod of gratitude, feeling the weight of her exhaustion settling in her bones after the long journey. "Thank you," she replied, her voice carrying a hint of weariness. "I would be most grateful if you could prepare a hot bath for me. The journey has left my body feeling quite dreadful."

The maids exchanged a knowing glance before nodding in unison, their skirts swishing softly as they moved to fulfill Aelora's request. With practiced efficiency, they began to light the fire in the hearth, the crackling flames casting a warm glow across the room.

As one maid tended to the fire, the other disappeared momentarily, returning with a large basin filled with steaming water. The scent of lavender and rosemary filled the air, a fragrant promise of the relaxation to come.

"We'll have the bath prepared for you in no time, my lady," the other maid assured Aelora, her voice soothing like a lullaby. "Please, allow us to assist you in undressing."

Aelora nodded gratefully, allowing the maids to help her out of her travel-stained garments with gentle hands. The cool air prickled against her skin as she stood in her shift, feeling vulnerable yet strangely liberated in the presence of these two strangers.

With practiced movements, the maids draped a thick towel around Aelora's shoulders, preserving her modesty as they guided her towards the waiting bath. The warm steam enveloped her as she sank into the water, a sigh of relief escaping her lips as the tension began to melt away.

For a moment, all was quiet save for the gentle lapping of water against porcelain. Aelora closed her eyes, allowing herself to bask in the sensation of warmth and comfort, grateful for this brief respite from the demands of her impending marriage.

As she soaked in the fragrant waters, the maids hovered nearby, ready to attend to her every need.

Aelora reclined in the warm water, feeling the knots of tension slowly unraveling from her muscles as the scented oils and creams worked their magic. The gentle ministrations of the maids were like a balm to her weary soul, their touch both soothing and invigorating.

As one of the maids delicately worked her fingers through Aelora's hair, applying oils with practiced skill, the other maid continued to massage her body with firm yet gentle strokes. The combined sensations sent a shiver of pleasure down Aelora's spine, her eyelids fluttering closed in blissful contentment.

"May I ask you a question, my lady?" the first maid ventured, her voice soft and hesitant, as if afraid to disturb the tranquil atmosphere.

"Do not be impertinent," the second maid scolded gently, her hands stilling momentarily in their ministrations. "The lady is probably tired from her journey and wants to relax."

Aelora chuckled at the exchange, feeling a warmth spread through her chest at the maids' concern for her well-being. "It's alright," she interjected, her voice soft but firm. "I don't mind answering questions, as long as I can ask some in return."