A COSMIC CONVERGENCE

The scent grew more acute, the air thickening with smoke as it filtered through the narrow gaps between the trees—a tantalizing aroma wafted on the breeze, hinting at a sweet and fresh meal prepared nearby.

The rustling leaves, and the distant hoot of an owl heightened my growing sense of trepidation. Approaching a woman and her companion alone in the forest under the cover of night was risky. Every crunch of the underbrush beneath my feet felt like a drumbeat, signaling an impending reunion or unforeseen peril.

I had my doubts about her being a weak, timid individual. Memories surfaced of a formidable scythe made from the same milky material as my trident, in her hands capable of slicing demons into confetti. Primordial Thought had explained that we were all instruments of the cosmos. Even those who remained on the sidelines should still be considered formidable opponents.

My heart raced as I sprinted, feet pounding the soft, damp earth while the nocturnal chorus of the Amazon surrounded me. The distant calls of howler monkeys echoed, and the rhythmic symphony of crickets and cicadas intensified. Darting shadows from above caught my attention as the treetops buzzed with movement. I felt eyes on me— perhaps a curious ocelot or the elusive glint of a jaguar's eyes, observing from the dense underbrush. Fireflies flitted between trees, their sporadic glow punctuating the darkness. A sudden rustling above revealed a flash of bright plumage as a parrot took flight, disturbed from its roost.

Soon, the pervasive black was replaced by an inviting orange luminescence, casting dancing shadows upon the foliage. I came upon a clearing several miles from the city, a haven in this vast, untamed expanse. As the clearing neared, my sprint morphed into a stealthy prowl. I needed to come off as unthreatening as possible. Virgo had gone to great lengths to hide herself, and my being in her space might result in misunderstanding.

I looked around, knowing there was a possibility that every inch of the perimeter had the potential for hidden snares, yet none were discernible. I took a deep breath, already tired from the aftermath of both exertion and the thrill of reconnecting with a figure from my history. With a grin, I ventured closer, taking in a vista that extended beyond the ring of rubber trees into an open clearing. The trees didn't fit in with the surrounding foliage. Most looked to be new growth. I was exactly where I needed to be.

In the heart of the clearing, a subdued bonfire crackled, casting a warm glow across the area. Above the embers, a mesh grill cradled roasting corn, sending an enticing aroma into the air. Encircling the fire were vibrant blooms, lending a delicate and fragrant ambiance to the scene.

Ten feet above the forest floor was a treehouse exceeding imagination. Its presence was an ode to the luxury found within the pages of architectural magazines. The structure looked like it was handcrafted from materials that seemed coaxed from the trees that supported it. Bridges of polished wood and woven vines connected it to the surroundings. Some of the wood features looked brand new. Strategically placed windows were embedded on the side of the structure. I knew the view from them must be spectacular. The cascades of soft white curtains in the windows blocked my view inside.

With a cautious step, I ventured into the open space, poised to introduce myself, when a glint of metal rushed at me. Instinctively, I jerked my head back, narrowly avoiding an object that whizzed past, embedding itself into a nearby tree trunk. My eyes fell upon the weapon – an iridescent sickle, its length no longer than my arm.

Turning toward the source, I faced a short, lean figure, his features etched in a frown.

Bronzed skin tone and a lean, athletic build. The man's dark brown hair is styled in loose curls, with busy brows to match.