REKINDLED FIRES

Drawing a deep breath, we summoned the strength to rise from the ground. I brushed off a clump of dirt from Balam's shoulder, my hand hesitating near a patch of mud. I tried to reach for magic but was too drained to help. Balam cast a quizzical glance my way, prompting my explanation.

"How much have you practiced magic?" he inquired, his support crucial as he guided us toward the far edge of his courtyard opposite our entry point.

I sighed, feeling the weight of my limited experience. "Well, there was a time in Crete with a man who showed me how to make simple boundaries, the fight where I almost beat you, and, of course, our tango with that damn snake."

Balam led us to a pair of steps hewn from trees, ascending toward a slender bridge that spanned toward the treehouse.

"That is a long time not to practice," Balam said, meeting his gaze with a relentless intensity. He rolled his eyes and gestured around me, a wave of his hand enveloping my being.

"Our existence, from the memories available to me, predates even the dawn of Mesopotamia, stretching back to before human settlements," he explained with exasperation. "Magic was an enduring force, thriving well before the memory block, before humans took their place above the Neanderthals. It's a gift we should use and respect. You're going to have to get better with it soon. If they found us once, they will find us again, and I need to be ready to stand side-by-side with you."

With Balam's assistance, I ascended the staircase, our progress halting as we reached a small bridge connecting the stairs to the treehouse. A creature unlike any I'd encountered before darted out from the candle-lit abode. It was a hybrid, possessing traits of both deer and fox, its rust-orange fur accented by a dark, flowing mane. Its short stature barely reached my knees. Startled, I leaped back, my balance teetering precariously as I nearly stumbled over the corded railing. "What the hell is that?" I exclaimed, my heart racing.

"That's Ginkgo," Balam replied calmly, his voice carrying an air of affection. "He's a maned wolf. I rescued him and a few others from an eccentric breeder obsessed with making them miniature. I used my magic to save them. Ginkgo is the runt, so I kept him."

Gently, Balam helped me settle onto the bridge, my legs dangling over the edge. I looked down as he joined me, his head finding a place on my shoulder as one hand reached to tenderly caress the exotic creature.

I reached for Ginkgo, who rubbed his head against my head. "I steered clear of witches and other things as much as possible, opting for what I thought were typical mortal lives. I've been a warrior, a fisherman, a painter, and even an actor. For a time, I was a baker in Egypt."

Balam's gaze remained fixed on the small-maned wolf nestled in his lap as he shared his story. "I learned into animal magic not long after I escaped the island. Animals became my allies, sustaining me in a world without guaranteed safety, especially for women. I stayed in Africa after swimming from the island. I took on various identities through marriage during my early days until I found a man who dared to sail alongside a woman. When he grew overly aggressive, I had no choice but to toss him overboard. That led to the end of my trip to South America, where I could finally blend in."

He tapped a hand on my knee, "I used jaguars to hunt my food and birds to forage. Eventually, a shaman found my hut after the goddess told him I needed help."

"Sorry," I stated.

"It's not your fault," Balam's voice carried a comforting reassurance as he patted my knee, the sadness coming from me. "The challenges we've faced weren't of your making. And you're far more adept with magic than you give yourself credit for. Sure, you need to further develop, but I should also commend you for picking up elemental manipulation in a few hours."