Chapter 1

Song: Are you already gone Nicki Minaj

Ava is 21

Nova 9 months

After Daddy died, I always considered myself independent, mostly because I had no choice. At 16, I went from group to group home. I remember having so much anger at my situation that I just didn't care, and that carelessness led to drinking and partying. It didn't stop until a one-night stand ended up with me pregnant. I was shocked and scared when it happened, but having her was my wake-up call.

I always found it funny that such a basic name has a profound meaning, Ava means life, so it felt right to name her Nova, meaning new. Because her entering my life gave it new meaning, a new purpose.

"How is house hunting going?" my coworker asked as she cleaned her area for her next client.

"I'm getting there. I almost have my half saved up for the deposit. The shelter is helping me with the rest."

"You know you and Nova can stay with me. I have an extra room," she suggests.

"I can't. The shelter is not ideal, but they offer daycare and food," I stop myself from going into too many details because it's pointless. We have this same conversation every day. I'm not leaving the shelter, any time soon unless it's my place my home.

"That would be 150," I say after finishing up my client's hair. I did a haircut with honey-blond highlights.

"Eeek, thank you! I love it!" She screeches, hugging me. She gets the same hairstyle every time, but each time she's still excited.

"Here" she hands me 200, which is a very generous tip. "I also brought Nova some clothes," she tries to say.

But I shake my head. "No, really, you don't have to."

"Yes, I can, plus I already brought it, and I want to. Accept the help."

"I've been trying to tell her, miss," the same coworker, Ashley, cosigns. I tear up. Damn it, I hate when people are nice. For some reason, it's just so hard to accept.

"Thank you so much," I squeezed her tightly saying goodbye.

Not only did she buy Nova clothes but she snuck some snacks and toys.

I quickly return to the shop, sanitize, and clean my area.

"Bye, Ashley, I'm heading out early," I tell her while hugging her. It's 3:40, and Nova gets out at 5.

With the $50 extra tip, I decided to head to the store for a few supplies. After getting the essentials, I head towards the direction of the daycare but I am met with traffic. When I finally get there, it's already 5:30. I park my beat-down car and rush into the school.

"I'm so sorry I ran late; it was traffic. I tried to get here as fast as I could," I explained to Nova's teacher.

"This is the third time this month. I can't have this; you don't value the policy you signed. I'm going to have to kick you out," her teacher says, handing me Nova's diaper bag that is usually kept at the school.

"Wait, this is the only daycare that's even remotely close to me. You can't do this; I have a full-time job. I can't watch her and work," I pleaded.

"So do the other parents that are also on the waiting list," her teacher tells me in a patronizing voice.

"I will figure it out," I say, picking Nova up from the playpen.