Chapter 8

I've found myself caught in a whirlwind of contrasting experiences. On the positive side, I've formed deep and meaningful connections, assumed the role of Godmother, and even saved a life. However, the downside was gaining an enemy who was hell-bent on making my time here anything but pleasant. 

Gone were the days of sparring with words; now apparently assassination attempts are a thing in beastworld, and trust me I should know after being attacked. ..... Twice. One in an unforeseen ambush.

Foreshadowing over 

It had been a few days since the incident in Leopard Village. The decision to leave the village behind had been made, but unfortunately, Harvey couldn't leave immediately. He needed to settle his responsibilities as the healer before our departure. In the meantime, I remained locked up, away from the town center—highly irritated and bored. 

Everyone is afraid that I will trigger Eudora further and potentially escalate the situation, which is valid. But I find it amusing that I'm the only one being punished for it, at least that's what it feels like.

"Wolf, where is my peanut butter?" I inquired, my irritation evident. I ate all my bread, but I still like to eat the peanut butter with my fruit and veggies.

"I don't know where it is. You probably ate all of it," Wolf suggested, shrugging his shoulders and not bothering to look at me. His nonchalant response only fueled my irritation.

"I had some just last night, and over half of the jar was left over. Someone had to eat it. It doesn't have legs to just walk away," I reminded him, in a sarcastic tone. I'm not me when I'm hungry.

"Ask Harvey why is it always me?" Wolf's tone remained nonchalant deflecting.

"Well, Harvey is not here for me to ask, and he hates peanut butter," I continue, frustrated. Wolf just shrugs me off in response. What is his problem?

"Look at how you've been acting these past few days. You seem like you hate me—always bothering me, invading my personal space, then isolating me, all in the same day. What is it you want from me? What are you trying to prove by being an ass constantly?" I say, my frustration evident. All of my complaints bubble out, and needless to say, we are turning on each other from lack of stimulation, but what I said is only the truth. I glance at him, waiting for a response, but there's a certain stubbornness in his eyes and, dare I say, hurt.

"  My problem is that you think Harvey is such a perfect mate already; it looks like I'm not even needed," Wolf expressed. "My suggestion to protect the family was dismissed without consideration. Moreover, you seem to avoid me, only interacting with and seeking out Harvey. It's as if you're hesitant to ask for help. You do everything by yourself. Females aren't supposed to cook, but there you are, burning your hands. They don't forage for food, they don't do house chores, they don't offer medical advice" Wolf's checklist of how different I am goes on, but honestly, I lost count somewhere in the middle. Staying here is turning out to be way more challenging than I expected; blending in is just not my strong suit.  As someone who's used to being busy, I can't stand staying idle for to long. I like doing work. 

After he's done with his rant, I casually add, "Oh, and by the way, you forgot a crucial detail – my period, makes its grand entrance every month". He practically knows everything else about me; might as well run off with that tidbit too.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Wolf says with a tired sigh, his hand rubbing his forehead. He braced himself, half-expecting the heated argument he witnessed when they first met. To his surprise, she veers off into a seemingly unrelated topic – periods. Wolf's confusion is palpable; he's left wondering, what even is a period?

"Everything," I retort to Wolf. "But on a side note, there are misconceptions. I don't prefer Harvey over you. It's just that with you, I'm always the one taking initiative. You can obviously tell that I'm different. Why don't you ask me why and how? Try to get to know me."

"And also, when we said no, it's because we didn't want to immediately resort to killing when we can avoid it by moving away."

"Do you think running away will solve this issue?" Wolf counters, his eyebrows shooting up skeptically.

"We can try it, but I can tell you it's better than your plan, no offense. You may think you're the Hulk or some kind of powerhouse, but in reality, being outnumbered is a significant disadvantage. And let's not forget, neither Harvey nor I are skilled in combat to help. So when they retaliate, we're toast. You are not invincible we aren't either." I said to him

"I'm not invincible but I don't have to be if I catch them by surprise and isolate them one by one," Wolf persists, his tone carrying an unsettling determination that raises a few eyebrows. He sounds like a psychopath.

"I said no," I firmly restate.

"Rid us of them. No running I can do it."

"No."

" Fine, I can kidnap Eudora and teach her a lesson."

"Wolf."

"Yes."

"Shut the hell up" He hates her more than me and I'm the one who suffered her wrath.

After the much-needed conversation, I finally opened up to Wolf about my background, unveiling my human origins and the wild journey that brought me here—from almost being crushed to death to facing wolf attacks upon arrival. These were details I had failed to share with Harvey. When Wolf heard the news, he immediately reached out, enveloping me in a hug and pulling me onto his lap. Each time I attempted to get up, he would growl in protest, determined to keep me close. So, reluctantly, I sat. Like Harvey, he bombarded me with questions. He is convinced that I was destined to be here by the beast goddess and possess ape powers due to my dreams.

He also proved to be very receptive. Not only did he not stop at the differences, but he continued by asking me about my interests. Unfortunately, the conversation was cut short when Nova woke up crying. My jar of peanut butter was never brought up again, nor was my period. Despite the interruptions, I and Wolf were no longer strangers; it was the start of a very strong bond. One that was just as willful as Ava.