Chapter 6

Harvey Pov

He cleaned his hands and prepared to leave, grabbing Ava's things to head after her. He feels like he's being demoted to her travel basket.

"Harvey, I'm sure you've noticed that your mate is a little weird," Liam says, stopping him in his tracks.

The nonchalant attempt to leave doesn't sit well with him. As the unofficial family leader, Sarah's first mate, and the strongest among them, he feels a responsibility to address the situation. What she did was unnatural and powerful, and now his family might be caught in a web of unpredictability. Who knows what she will demand as repayment? With an upper hand like that it can be endless.

Harvey turns to face Liam, a stern expression on his face. "Weird or not, Liam, she saved Sarah's life. Isn't that what matters most?" Harvey asks defensively.

He knows Ava is different; they've spent a considerable amount of time discussing their differences, yet he has only scratched the surface. But he refuses to let her differences make her feel bad about herself. She displayed selflessness and should be appreciated.

"Yes, but it's not that simple," Liam tries to explain, but Harvey is having none of it and interrupts him.

"Then the only thing that should be coming out of your mouth is a thank you," Harvey says clearly, with a firm voice of protectiveness. It's the first time he has ever risen to confrontation, and he feels a mix of nervousness and empowerment.

"Now, if I may, I insist I have to leave," Harvey says, walking out.

Ava Pov

I wouldn't consider it much of a town square. It's deserted, with only a few houses, but what makes it a popular gathering spot is the watering hole, the river.

I notice a crowd of people staring at us, their eyes fixed on my face and Nova's. Hushed conversations started to strike up. Are people so inept that they don't think I hear them? Even a few brave men even try to come talk to me, but I ignore them. I appreciate the attention—who doesn't?—but I don't feel comfortable entertaining the idea of a second mate without Harvey. Not only is it uncomfortable but also a bit intimidating.

I hurry to join the group of females by the river's edge, where I spot a delightful scene – cubs of different species playing together under the watchful gaze of their mothers.

Their innocent interactions create a heartwarming scene, drawing my attention away from the lingering whispers.

How cute. I wish Nova knew how to walk so she could run and play with them. However, knowing her, she might be too rough. They all look so small and fragile. I'll have to teach her to play gently. I still don't know why she attacked Harvey.

I nod to Bai Qingqing but don't make a move to greet Parker. I hate him , but I can't do anything but be petty. Sadly.

"Hi, my name is Ava, and this is Nova," I offer a friendly smile. However, my smiles quickly fade when I'm ignored. It's okay, though, because I came in at a great time. Eudora is staring intently at Parker, setting the stage for incoming drama.

"My heat will come on in a few days. I will have a litter for you. You know you want me. I'm the prettiest female in the village," Eudora tells Parker, her voice full of arrogance.

I stand to the side, observing the scene. Eudora and Parker are truly one of a kind. They both exude arrogance and a lack of common sense.

I mean look at her poor males, she is oblivious to the discomfort she's causing, especially to her own mates, who appear both angry and betrayed by her actions.   If she were smart, she would stop while she's ahead.