Chapter 2

Song:  Sober p!ink

After unstrapping Nova, both Parker and Bai Quigqing stare at the baby. Bai Quigqing is not in shock because she already knew it was a child. Nova is so chubby that she and Ava look like they weigh the same. She finds Nova so cute that she wants to hug her to death.

But Parker being Parker doesn't back down. Her glaring at him instigates a challenge. "Females are so ungrateful... Who cares what he says next? All he says is that I owe him. 

This is exactly why I don't like accepting help; people feel entitled  when you are in their debt.

"Oh my gosh, shut the hell up. All gratitude and respect disappear once you open your damn mouth." I glare at him.

"Learn how to talk and sympathize with people before you address me because I will argue back and be an asshole right back," I assert. He doesn't want to mess with me. I've been holding on to my anger all day, and when I unleash it, everyone gets hurt, including me.

"You can walk by yourself since you're so ungrateful," Parker says before shifting, giving up on the argument, a gesture so unlike him. He was truly speechless. He nods for Bai Quigqing to get on his back.

"Like hell, I'm walking in the woods with sandals on," I retort. As soon as Bai Quigqing gets on him, I quickly climb behind, holding her waist tightly with Nova squished in between us. Nova just giggles, clapping and having the time of her life.

"Proceed slowly, we're fragile," I command Parker with no shame. I say "thank you" when he takes off. For a second, I thought he was going to throw me off. I ultimately decided to leave the car seat behind; it was too big to carry.

The leaves crush beneath Parker's paws as he struts slowly and gracefully. If only his mouth could be half as graceful, he would be the full package.

"Can you stop ahead?" I say as nicely as possible. He slowly comes to a stop, and I get off his back to see that half of my stuff is missing. My bag, full of essentials that I brought from the store, is gone. It had some panties, my menstrual cup, and some snacks. Ironically, all of Nova's stuff is here—her diaper bags and the new clothes I was gifted for her.

"This is some crap," I say, bending down and going through my stuff while making sure I'm holding Nova securely so she doesn't go falling.

While concentrating, my line of vision suddenly blurred, accompanied by a searing pain on my face. My face is smudged with mud. The air is filled with Nova's loud cries, adding to the chaos. As I turn to assess her, I find her tiny face also covered with mud, her confusion evident in her cries.

I see red my instinctive reaction was swift and effective. In a split second, I executed the classic self-defense move, delivering a forceful knee to Parker's groin. The impact left Parker gasping for breath, desperately covering his sensitive area as pain surged through him. His face turned a shade of red, a combination of embarrassment and physical discomfort.

"What is wrong with you, stupid female?" Parker screamed.

"My bad. It was a normal reaction. I heard Nova cry, and it's instinct to hurt the one who caused harm to her," Ava says nonchalantly, her demeanor showing anything but remorse.

"What's a little mud going to do?" Parker says angrily.

"I'm trying to protect you. When we get to Leopard Village, we're going to be bombarded. I need to keep you hidden," he says with a hint of possessiveness. Perhaps it's because he's unsure if he sees her as a future mate; the other female is prettier, and he saw her first. However, her ability to produce a girl outweighs her looks. He wants to safeguard his assets until he makes a decision.

"Right, it's my choice, my decision to make. You don't ever touch someone's child without permission. What gave you such privilege? You think it's just mud to you, but as a mother, you know it's not just that; it's bacteria. Look at Nova; it got into her mouth and in her eyes. What are you going to do if she gets sick? If she develops a rash? If she has a bruise on her face from your hands? I don't know if you notice, but you're heavy-handed; your strength outweighs us a hundred times, but it's just mud."I tell Parker, still pissed, shouting over Nova's cries. I grab a wipe, but Nova flinches and dodges away. I can't even get the dirt off her face; she's so upset

Face with last resort I sit on the ground and slowly start to rock her to calm her down. She's probably hungry, but I don't want to feed her for the risk of more dirt getting into her mouth. 

"Don't worry, Mommy won't let the big mean bully touch you ever again," I said to Nova.

I continue to talk to her, not really discussing anything specific, but my voice soothes her.

Ava, in her own world, she forgets about Bai Quigqing and Parker. They watch her in her art form, displaying maternal instincts

Bai Quigqing wishes she could watch the display forever, but her needs are getting in the way as her ankle is met with another sharp pain. She moans in pain to herself, but it grabs Parker's attention."What's wrong? Are you okay?" Parker asks frantically."You know what, we're going to the healer," he says, picking her up bridal style and running to Leopard Village not waiting to hear her response. 

"Wait, Ava," Bai Quigqing says quietly to him.

"I will send someone to her."

"Okay," Bai Quigqing says, putting up no more arguments, even though she knows how dangerous the forest is.

Ava notices them abandoning her and scrambles to her feet. "Parker, Bai Quigqing!" she calls out frantically trying to get them to stop

She attempts to run after them, but her attention isn't on the ground, and she ends up stumbling over a tree root. Bracing for impact, she shifts to the side, ensuring Nova is safe from harm. Thump. Thump. A sharp sting courses through her side, and Nova's cries pierce the air once again. But her pain prevents her from doing anything.

"Help, Parker!" Her initial screams of anger transform into heart-wrenching sobs. Fatigue settles in, and she contemplates giving up. Remaining positive becomes hard when every damn thing goes wrong.

Is life even worth it at this point? She thought she was in Beastworld, a place where females were loved and protected. Sure, she was mean, but was death her punishment? That's what Parker guaranteed by leaving her here, in a place where she knew nothing of. 

All while this happens, a male watches her, attracted by her screams.