Chapter 5

Ava Pov

"Oh, that's more than a stomach ache," I respond, stating the obvious, but I don't know what else to say. The fact remains that Harvey is not here.

"You can probably find him on his hunt, he went into the woods in that direction," I suggest. Pointing to the side path on the side of the house. Where there is indentation on grass suggesting that this path is used frequently.

"I need help now. I can't go on a chase and If I go back empty-handed, her mates and my brother would kill me. Aren't you the healer mate? I'm sure you must know how to do something," the male pleads.

"Yes, I'm his mate, but that does not make me qualified to bring a life into this world," I say with a nervous shout. I quite literally just became his mate. And from the way his voice stutters and shakes, I know this is not normal labor. It falls on the spectrum where there can be major complications for both the child and the mother. I knew all this, yet I still ended up becoming coerced to be a midwife. I hope my Grey's Anatomy knowledge shines.

Since I couldn't leave Nova behind, I carried her in my arms along with her diaper bag, while the male accompanying me took care of her car seat. My plan was to buckle her in while I helped. I'm grateful Harvey found the car seat I left behind, especially now because Nova can't sit still unless forced. It's better to have her confined in one spot, particularly in serious situations where I can't fully focus on her.

"Push!" I yell at her.

"I can'tttt!" She wails back.

"You cry, scream, curse—do anything, but you don't give up. Your child needs you, so you better fucking push!" I yell, the urgency driving me to be aggressive. Her mates of course growl at me, but I have to motivate her somehow —she's giving up, and not one child has been born. She's supposed to give birth to a litter.

Ahhh!" she screams, pushing, the sound echoing in the small hut. There aren't many materials here to help—no medicine or even a bucket of water. The only source of comfort is the makeshift bed of animal hides she lies on.

It's evident why it's difficult and taking a toll on her. With Nova, I had an epidural with modern technology to help, and it was still a traumatic experience for me. Witnessing this, I might just consider becoming a nun.

I move from her side to get a better look, and my heart sinks. The wolf pup is stuck, too fat for the birth canal. Tears stream down my face, a mix of frustration and worry overwhelming me. What can I do? How can I help? And, most importantly, where is Harvey?

"It's not coming out; he's too fat," I tell her, my voice tinged with sadness.

"Ahhh, help me!" She yells at me in fury. "You told me not to give up; I listened. I'm pushing as hard as I can—do something!"

"I--" I start to say but my Harvey finally arrives.

"Ava, move," Harvey tells me, coming in and looking flustered. I quickly stepped out of the way, relieved to see him. I watch as he carefully grabs the pup, maneuvering his hands with practiced skill. It quickly slips out, one after the other, until all six cubs are delivered safely. He is amazing.

"She's not breathing, she's not breathing!" Her mate's anguished cries reverberate through. Without hesitation, I spring into action. In school, we all had to become CPR-certified.

I move towards her, kneeling beside her, I start performing CPR. My hands press gently but firmly on her chest in rhythmic compressions, and I tilt her head slightly to open the airway.

"Come on, breathe," I murmur, my focus entirely on the life-saving efforts.

Gasp "What are you doing?" her mate demands, his anxiety evident. This- this female is kissing HIS mate.

"Get off her, useless female! Let Harvey help," another voice joins in, trying to drag me away. He knows Harvey is unlikely to be able to do anything; it's too late. He just doesn't want this female touching his mate any longer. He needs to say goodbye.

"No, I can do this," I say, applying the compressions harder. Now desperate. She has to stay alive. It's not fair she has kids that need her. Mates. A family.

I repeat the compressions, each one a determined effort, the weight of responsibility heavy on my shoulders. The air feels tense as I push down, and then, finally, a gasp breaks the silence. The mother starts breathing again, faint but its welcome. Relief washes over me.

"I did it," I say, jumping excitedly. However, no one joins in the excitement. Confused, I stare at the room, and they all look at me intensely.

"What's wrong?" I ask, feeling self-conscious and guilty.

" Ava no one has ever brought someone back from the dead," Harvey says.

"I didn't, though. It's just CPR," I defend myself, trying to downplay it. I don't want to be alienated already. I should have been more mindful, but regardless of the outcome, deep down, I still would have made the same choice. Life.

"Nonsense, we heard her heart no longer beat," her mate says. I really need to learn the names.

"Okay, and instead of making me feel like an outcast, say thank you and leave it at that," I snap, walking out, not before unbuckling Nova. I hope Harvey gets her stuff for me. I refuse to stay. I don't want to blurt out everything and reveal where I'm from, making myself even weirder. I need to assimilate, not stand out. Luckily, I know where the town square is from their house. 

Time to explore.

Author note

The next Chapter is the famous Eudora scene.