1

Nesta

The moon was beautiful tonight.

I never understood why this simple thing could hypnotize a person so that they couldn't take their eyes off her.

Imagine having this much power over a person like the moon does. Having someone's attention by shining brighter than anyone without even noticing.

The power...

Whoever says that having power isn't everything, has enough of it. That's what my parents taught me.

Power is everything in this world.

It's like a chess game. If you put all of your rocks to work and trap the king, you win. If you let one rock slip out of its designed place, you lose.

It's a game of control. People who have control are always going to win.

You get out of control, you lose.

That's my life as a politician's daughter. Always well mannered, always straight A's, never causes trouble, never gets out of control.

Like a machine.

Tonight, i have to put on my mask again and act as my soul doesn't ace for some thrill.

My sister, Charlotte loves this life. She's made to be a golden child.

I'm the defective one.

I check the high ponytail my hairstylist finished.Not a single hair out of line. A soft glam look on my face.

Not too daring.

And a white flounce bustier midi dress paired with white YSL heels.

The heels are way too uncomfortable and the ponytail is so tight that it gives me a terrible headache.

The white was a symbol for my mother. Of pureness in hope that she could arrange me with someone powerful.

The white,however, did a lot of contrast with my long raven black hair that fell to my waist even tied.

That's why it wasn't the best matching color on me. I loved black, red, green and blue.

Black suits everything and makes me look edgy.

Blue and green make my eyes pop even more.

And red... I don't know. A part of me always loved red.

My black hair with a white dress wasn't that flattering on me.

I didn't inherit the honey-colored hair my mother had that Charlotte and Oliver took from her.

Me and Cole were the ones that looked like our father. Unlike me though, Cole was free. He took his freedom without asking our parents and they didn't have any choice but to agree so it doesn't cause a "bigger scandal". He does his scandals now quieter. Especially in Thunder Bay.

"Nesta, are you ready, darling?" my mother knocks on the door.

"Come in" i say and hear behind me, the door being opened

Ines Thatcher was THE trophy wife. Dressed always in the finest clothes and threw the best parties for my father.

Blonde honey-colored hair, blue-green eyes that only i got, slightly tanned skin , unlike my fair skin complexion and a body that was slimmed and elegant, in contrast with my slightly curvy body.

A satisfied smile covers her face, taking my look in "Gorgeous. You are going to break hearts like this. Now remember, smile. It's your father's re-election as mayor if Meridian City. There will be a lot of people in this party and who knows. Maybe you'll be stuck in someone's mind."

"Of course mother." but the smile is really hard to force for me as i have a natural "resting bitch face" as my siblings describe it.

She sighs and starts talking "Just until next week and you can go on a vacation, alone. I figured you need some rest."

"Really?" i say now, my smile actually seeming genuine

My mother smiles "Of course. I know Nesta , that you hate it here. The parties, the fake people and smiles.. i know those aren't you. It was long overdue.So i talked to your father to give you some rest. You just finished high school as Valedictorian. I think you deserve this."

I don't think twice before i hug my mother tightly and kiss her cheek "Thank you, thank you, thank you"

She laughs and hugs me back, tapping my back "Of course. Now let me go or i'll have to change my dress from the wrinkles."

I unwrap my arms from her and the smile on my face is genuine this time

Ok. In this time i only have two of these parties and then a vacation. Just these two parties

I can definitely do it.

The other party is next week, at Senator Mori's Mansion. It's a party to celebrate her re-election and i think it's a ball with masks.

I actually like the parties she throws. Yes, they are mainly for political reasons but they are kind of fun. At least they are better than just greeting people and fake smiles.

There is always something to do.

I am also best friends with her daughter, Jett.

She's the biggest fashion icon Ive ever and she's cool to hang out with. We don't hang out every day cause she lives in Thunder Bay but i text with her every day.

However, her brother remains a big mystery. I can't really remember his name but it's rare for him to show up to parties and when he does, he disappears in thin air.

I've never actually seen him.

All i know is that Cole and him hate each other's guts. Everywhere Cole goes, he attracts trouble. And Thunder Bay is his favorite place to disturb. Especially during Devil's Night.

And i guess their beef comes from the territorial pride guys have. Men.

There's a lot of rumors about Jett's brother though. They say that he killed somebody when he was younger in cold blood.

Of course, we never believe rumors because the craziest things are said here.

"Okay, now we need to greet our guests. Remember, smile"

How can i forget mother?