4

Nesta

Me and Cole enter the party, our mother's relieved face, the first thing i notice, then Oliver eating at the banquet.

I contain my laughter as he hides from our mother and eats some cake in secret.

Mom is very strict about his diet as he has diabetes, and at 22, he still has to hide it from mom when he wants to eat something unhealthy.

Not that she controls him, but Oliver loves her too much to object her on this, especially since she's absolutely right in this case.

We descend the stairs and Cole goes to Oliver, taping him on the back, catching him off guard then laughing it off.

He sees me too and winks at me, and i wink back, smiling.

Suddenly, a little girl jumps on me and i hold my balance taking her in my arms.

Arta. My little cousin. My mother's niece and my golden angel.

"Careful, wrecking ball." i laugh kissing her cheek
and putting her down.

I take in her white dress and her golden hair, curled up with her eyes which are similar to mine but a lighter shade and then she runs to my mother.

The dress code is for women to dress in white and men in tuxedos so, i won't be seeing any colors but black and white tonight

"Little dove." i hear my father say, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and kissing the top of my head.

I lift my head to see my father's face, smiling at me and it makes my heart melt.

I was always my dad's girl. His soft spot for me is something unexplainable, somehow.

My father is a cold man, yet my mother has been more strict with me than dad has ever been.

"Dad, i'm so happy for you." i smile hugging him.

Since yesterday, when the elections were over and the winners were announced, i haven't seen dad so i really wanted to congratulate him in person

"Thank you, my little dove." he releases me and i'm immediately occupied by Kamala.

Kamala is my friend since we were six. Since i slapped a girl for shaming her for her brown skin, we have been inseparable.

She is wearing a white lehenga with a big necklace and headpieces, her cultural outfit, making her seem regal.

"Oh my god, Nes. You look so beautiful." her eyes shine while looking at me

"Nobody can top your look Kamala, we both know that." i laugh and hug her.

——

"And this is my daughter, Nesta." my dad says for the 500th time, presenting us to our guests.

Finally, only some couples are left.

Next up is the mayor of Thunder Bay, Erika Fane and her husband, Michael Fane, one of the best coaches of the NBA and former player, their daughter, Athos Fane with her wife, and their little son, Aaron.